Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

daggyboy at standard level
Default Blue Smoke, topped up oil, blue smoke gone but now engine is shaking.

Gday all

Over the last fortnight my MY02 WRX has chewing through oil and I've noticed blue smoke at the exhaust when tapping the accel (while parked), also from the BOV (when vented, I have been leaving it closed but opened as a test) when decel and a little bit when removing the oil cap. Oil pressure light has been flashing at low revs (first time I've ever since this in 3.5yrs). Fuel efficiency 10-20% less this year compared to others. I've since topped up using Castrol GTX Modern Engine 10w-30 (is this suitable?) it needed at least 3 litres to bring it back up to the halfway dipstick mark. Car was serviced only 5-6 weeks ago.

Since topping up the blue smoke has almost vanished but another problem has popped up. The engine feels very shaky when accelerating (normal pace) like the timing is way out or a cyclinder is not firing correctly. When I slow down and decompress using the gears I notice the popping sound from the exhaust more than I normally would.

Would you say that prior to topping up I was getting 'blow-by' which was burning the oil and after topping up it's not firing correctly and dumping the fuel?

The oil looks a lot thinner compared to when I put it in yesterday and has darkened. The fumes from the oil seem to stand out more than normal so there could be fuel mixing with it..? The exhaust has a distinct smell also.

I'm hoping it's a clogged PCV. I have no idea if this has ever been replaced. Oil also seems to be climbing to the higher points of the motor out of the BOV and a bit of build up around the TMIC. The turbo was checked for leaks in the past I'm pretty sure but perhaps the seals have degraded since. No CELs and ECU reset hasn't helped.

Some history -

I had some issues about 6 months ago not being able to reach full boost, odd revving issues and the car feeling quite larthargic. Most of this has been since corrected but I'd thought I mention it just in case it relates to the issues that have cropped up recently. That thread can be found here - http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/26014-not-reaching-full-boost.html

When I was having the issues earlier in the year ASG did mention lower compression on one cylinder which was the most likely cause for an intermittent rough idle??? I thought running my fuel tank to near empty may have contributed to this with "crap" getting into the system.... compression hasn't been retested since.

My clutch has been showing signs of wear (slipping in 3rd, 4th & 5th if put under load).

Idle is still rough and the car stalls easier when creeping (car parks, bumper to bumper traffic etc) but I think the clutch is contributing to this... my mobile mechanic also suggested oil may be getting onto the clutch from the rear main seal...

Any advice appreciated.

Daz

Last edited by daggyboy; 22-11-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Tags
blue, engine, oil, shaking, smoke, topped