Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-01-2006, 07:05 PM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level
Default Coil over adjustment questions

My coil overs (D2) are dual height adjustable, i.e. the lower spring perch can be wound down as per normal, but the entire strut can be turned to lower it down the bottom spring mount.

Now as it was before, the spring perch was all the way down leaving the spring uncaptive, and the strut sitting high in the bottom mount. The ideal way is to have the spring under load and to adjust height by turning the strut, so I changed it to that.

However, the car is now SO much stiffer, which is the opposite of what I would of thought. Any ideas on why?

Secondly, with D2's, how do you adjust the stiffness at the strut top. There is the purple little round dial you can pull out and also turn, but Rob PROTOTYPE told me thats not how, you turn the lower purple nut below that? Yeah? Question is which way is stiffer which way is softer?
Old 16-01-2006, 08:06 PM
wrx46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakks
My coil overs (D2) are dual height adjustable, i.e. the lower spring perch can be wound down as per normal, but the entire strut can be turned to lower it down the bottom spring mount.

Now as it was before, the spring perch was all the way down leaving the spring uncaptive, and the strut sitting high in the bottom mount. The ideal way is to have the spring under load and to adjust height by turning the strut, so I changed it to that.

However, the car is now SO much stiffer, which is the opposite of what I would of thought. Any ideas on why?

Secondly, with D2's, how do you adjust the stiffness at the strut top. There is the purple little round dial you can pull out and also turn, but Rob PROTOTYPE told me thats not how, you turn the lower purple nut below that? Yeah? Question is which way is stiffer which way is softer?

Do not use the extreme end of the soft or hard sides, but finda compromise inbetween. I find between 3 and 4 turns (roughly in the middle) works best under nearly all driving conditions. Below two turns can get bouncy. You can rotate the adjustment knob a total of 6.5 times. It is amisconception that firming your shocks all the way give you better handling.

Tags
adjustment, coil, questions