Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level
Default The Sti 6-speed

As you may or may not know, as of yesterday morning, I am in the market for a new gearbox.

I am thinking about getting a 6 speed. but not the basic, gear from here, 2nd from there, 5th from, ahh, here....don't worry about the diffs she'll be right brudda.

Can someone tell me, I may allready know the answer, whether or not the 02-06 JDM/ADM sti ratio's vary from the 02-06 sti Spec C/RA ratio's??????

I think they would? If this is the case then that is what I want. I also would be keen for accociated diffs, Clutch/flywheel and the DCCD and controller, I have read that the motec may control the DCCD for a stupid ammount more money. this may be a sticking point.

So am I going to get this for the wizz bang price of 5 large? Even I think I'm dreamin....
Old 28-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

from looking at this site

http://www.j-garage.com/subaru/impreza/gdb/2005spec.htm
http://www.j-garage.com/subaru/impre.../2005spec2.htm

no it doesnt look like their ratios differ.
Old 28-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

hmm...odd
Old 28-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

try this

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/1300-faq-subaru-transmission-specs-codes.html
Old 28-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by atz 242
As you may or may not know, as of yesterday morning, I am in the market for a new gearbox.

I am thinking about getting a 6 speed. but not the basic, gear from here, 2nd from there, 5th from, ahh, here....don't worry about the diffs she'll be right brudda.

Can someone tell me, I may allready know the answer, whether or not the 02-06 JDM/ADM sti ratio's vary from the 02-06 sti Spec C/RA ratio's??????

I think they would? If this is the case then that is what I want. I also would be keen for accociated diffs, Clutch/flywheel and the DCCD and controller, I have read that the motec may control the DCCD for a stupid ammount more money. this may be a sticking point.

So am I going to get this for the wizz bang price of 5 large? Even I think I'm dreamin....

Hmm they would be different pete.. The question u want to ask urself is wot type of driving do u intend to do and wot turbo do u wanna end up with? eg if u want to use ur GTP turbo then mayve u should look at the forrester STI 6-speed longer ratios. However if u wanna go a bigger turbo i.e FPgreen on a 2.0ltr then it would be wiser to get a spec c ratio as there alot shorter keeping u always in the right range (less laggy).

As for price i like ull be loooking at around 6-7gs with all the diffs, DCCD controller and box, then u would have to buy on top a sti cluster with DCCD. which may or maynot be included in this price..

installation? im not sure any workshop have tried to install the wiring for the DCCD.. looks fairly simple, just plug and play so to speak, but u have to make sure that u get the ABS sensors included with the DCCD otherwise the automatic function wont work..

Tell us how u go cos i wouldnt mind putting DCCD on my car..
Old 28-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

ahh gold, looks like they are all the same, might not bother with the DCCD, sounds like a drama, but it is what apparently makes the 05+ sti's handle significantly better, with the money saved on the DCCD shennanigans I could prolly get a CUSCO Tarmac spec centre diff.. and have permanent 35/65

yeah, new it would happen sometime tino....
Old 28-01-2006, 02:32 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

Pete who's doing the conversion for ya? that centre diff sounds the shit.
Old 28-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

pete,

the ratios change for 5th and 6th gear only,
there is also an STI aftermarket upgrade available to convert the 3.9 ratio to a 4.444 ratio

also, if you pickup a dccd 6 speed without the wiring, u can still drive it via the motec, you dont -need- the controller/thumbwheel/dash for it to operate.

Long live the WRC
Old 28-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

interesting, the link to the chart doesn't represent that. But if there are closer ones out there then I would be interested.

how does it drive without the controller? full auto? do i need to "add" software to the motec?

Also, I imagine I would need a clutch and flywheel, ctr and rear diff to complete the 6 speed package compared to the basic gearbox, selector and front diff assembly? Would you allow another 1500 for this?

Chris, nothin will be happening for a while, I have just got a new engine/turbo about 2 weeks ago....no money right now..

depending on how much I need the car may even go the fulla cheap option and wack in a 02 box for a while.....till it breaks
Old 28-01-2006, 06:41 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

You don't have to do the fly & clutch but I replaced my fly & refaced the clutch while it was out.

I had 4.44's so I had to do my rear (it was also missing teeth) dependant on the box but you will most likely need 3.9's (not sure what you currently have). There's also the tailshaft that needs to be shortened. One out of an auto is what you need but are hard to find.

This tailshaft business was the reason I went to MMS. I figured fking around with that could have well ended in tears.

Tags
6speed, sti