Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2005, 08:47 AM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level
Default A/F ratio gauges

Hey guys.
Just wanting to get advice or opinions on getting a air/fuel ratio gauges.

I am looking at getting maybe the autometer one so i can keep an eye on things while driving around the place. As i run a FCD and have been told that using them tends to make the car run lean, i was thinking of having one to be on the safe side ie: keep an eye on it.

I know that i can get a dyno run for the same cost of a gauge and find out exactly what my a/f is doing, but with my work and the time i have off.... it becomes very hard to be able to book in for a dyno run

So let me know what you guys think, or experienced with these

Cheers
Matt
Old 20-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

better off with an EGT gauge
Old 20-07-2005, 09:02 AM
STI Master

Quote:
better off with an EGT gauge

Why's that?
Old 20-07-2005, 09:26 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Generally by the time the AFR shows its running too lean its too late. EGT sensor will show the temps getting past 700 degrees celsius 'generally' means its getting too hot from running lean as well. Again by the time you realise this, in most cases its too late and damage is done. A knock sensor (knock link etc) might prove a better case...or just make time to get a dyno and have the tune sorted and never think about it again.
Old 20-07-2005, 09:51 AM
wombat

i just sold my brand new autometer cobalt gauge and sensor for less than half of what i paid for it. sold it on rexnet as there wasn't much interest in it on here, missed a bargain dude
Old 20-07-2005, 06:49 PM
STI Master

Well.........

Decided to head down to speedworks and see if i could book in a power run to check things etc.
What a awsome group of guys work here. Within 15mins, my car was getting fitted up up for a run. AJ was VERY helpful and detailed with telling me the whole process and whats good/bad etc.

Found that my car was detonating pretty bad at top end. A/f ratio was in the high 13.8's-14's while running on 17psi
Turned the boost down and was still high

Set boost at 13psi and its now in the safer a/f zone (albeit alot slower)

The tune that was in my car was very bad. AJ suggested that my ecu may have a chip (which i need to check)that may have been tuned very bad but otherwise, it was not good at all....
*this was the dyno sheet i was given.... why it has folder-SWWRXED,
run id- Wrxcess2 and date 24-july-2004 has me stuffed...... im hoping the wrong one wasnt printed out as he was showing me other runs etc, and the power cut out.... but he had printed this first...... so yeah *
Had i of spent the $175 and got the gauge, it still wouldnt have picked it up as accurately or precise as the dyno run did like you ...... which for pdiddy members was $120 outright.
Now i know my car is safe to run and also found a few other things i need to fix.

DEFINATELY worth the money guys, so pop in and get it done sometime as they said they have plenty of dyno time to do power runs and its alot cheaper than buying a crap gauge or later down the track....blown motor
Old 21-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Sir AntiLag

geoff at standard level

He probably loaded carly's run to show you as a comparison - the dynapack software replaces those details when you load a file for source comparison.

Trust me tho, those arent carlys runs - the big dips in the middle are really indicative of an early 90s 'power chip' - where they pull back the timing and then give it back to you so that you get a kick in the pants after it's fitted.

Yeah, i'd get an ECU or an emanage or something.

geoff
Old 21-07-2005, 10:16 AM
STI Master

Yeah... AJ said that this was definately my 3 runs and that dip was why he thought i had some dodgy chip in it. The last run started to straighten a tiny bit, which he said should after a bit of driving it'll learn itself and turn into a normal curve as long as i hold it at this psi.

Oh yeah, this was a car bought from subaru ozzy park off the head mechanic that i was told " no, this car has no chips, no enhancements etc etc "
AJ helped point out quite a few things that had i have seen him first, could have got fixed at suby instead of paying $1230 to get fixed..

You live and learn i guess

Tags
a or f, gauges, ratio