Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

WRX's are fine for long drives, provided you've maintained the car properly/given it a once over before you leave

as mentioned plan fuel points, as 98RON isn't necessarily at every service station you come across

only downside is it's easy to put your foot down just that little bit more and BAM you'll be receiving quite an expensive photo courtesy of our good friend RJ...use cruise control when safe to do so

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 23-07-2010, 06:12 PM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

Avoid driving from dusk till dawn as there will be wildlife on the road
Old 23-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

R3X at standard level

I got my MY06 STI in may and drove it back up to Carnarvon which is a few hundred K's shy of Coral Bay. The car handled the trip alright. I filled up my tank in the BP in Muchea, made it to Geraldton filled up then into Carnarvon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _daz_ View Post
WRX's are fine for long drives, provided you've maintained the car properly/given it a once over before you leave

as mentioned plan fuel points, as 98RON isn't necessarily at every service station you come across

only downside is it's easy to put your foot down just that little bit more and BAM you'll be receiving quite an expensive photo courtesy of our good friend RJ...use cruise control when safe to do so
Between Muchea and geraldton I don't think there is a BP station, most of the servo only carry 95. From Geraldton northwards there a few BP that carry 98 in Northhampton, Binnu, Overlander and Carnarvon. As with speed cameras haven't seen any on my trips up and down from Perth apart from in the Towns, but be aware of the Highway patrol they alwayz out there.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Sir AntiLag

cowboydave at standard level

Depends if you like long drives or not, I hate them but the WRX is no different to any other car I've owned in handeling them.
Old 24-07-2010, 08:14 AM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

98 Stops at Gero, When I drove my MY01 GD back to Karratha, Gero was the last place I could get 98 of any brand, Canarvon didn't have any and I didn't really trust that there was premium in the tanks below the ground anyway

According to Fuelwatch Caltex Exmouth have it, but I highly doubt it when there is nothing in Carnarvon or Karratha or any further north for that matter. A tanker wouldn't drive past Carnarvon just for a shit hole like Exmouth with about 8 cars in town that actually could use it versus the thousands of 1988 camper vans all on 92...

That being said, you'll be fine, fill up in Carnarvon, fill up again at Minilya rdhouse (1hr past Carnarvon) then you should make it back to Carnarvon or at least Minilya if your only staying in Coral Bay, this will eliminate your need to fill up in Coral Bay at well over $2 a litre for 92...

Hope that helps.

Last edited by baylee; 24-07-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Stand Corrected, Just checked, 98 is now available in carnarvon...
Old 24-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Have done Adelaide return and Tassie return ( Via Falls Creek ) in the STi and come from Adelaide to Perth in the 98 WRX.

Nothing wrong with them for a long trip but if you have never done more than 1/2 hour in the drivers seat I would suggest a day trip to Margs ( an excuse to stock up the bottom of the pantry with some nice wine and coffee beans ). Tomorrows as good a day as any.

Two reasons I do suggest it is to see if you are actually comfortable in it for an extended period and so you know what sort of fuel consumption you can get on a trip. Some of the WRX's out there with a couple of mods can be quite bad on fuel so it is a good thing to know when the servos start spreading out.

Check your hand book. If its a 60 litre tank I wouldn't suggest planing to go past 53 litres. Mine splutters at 53 1/2 on a flat cruise no corners. A real strong head wind can knock you 20% or more on consumption. Use the cruise control if you have it on the flat sections. It will do better than u fuel wise and maintain you average speed.

Don't worry about the mileage. You bought it to enjoy it. Get out there and enjoy it. +1 for driving in daylight, don't go nuts on the speed. Cows are pretty solid and you will likely see a few up north.
Old 24-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

Just carry octane booster and you should be fine!

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 24-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Question is, Karina, how do you feel about long walks on the beach?
Old 24-07-2010, 10:47 AM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Did Geraldton and back in one day a few weeks ago, Took a 10L can (which I needed) and made it to BP in Gero no probs.
Old 24-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99 View Post
Question is, Karina, how do you feel about long walks on the beach?
question is Matty how do u feel about holding hands in public

Tags
drives, long, wrx