Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

WANTED at standard level
Default PCV System - Crancase Vent

Can some please explain to me how the PCV system works in particular the crancase vent.

I'm trying to sort out how to safely / correctly connect a catch can.

This is my understanding...
On the crancase vent there is a y - piece attached (may have some type of valve) One pipe goes to the PCV valve on the intake manifold - the other to the intake - pre turbo. During engine vacuum the PCV valve opens creating a vacuum in the pipe connected to the y- piece causing the y- piece valve to open and vent the crancase gases into the intake?? Is this correct.

Is it ok to connect the catch can to the crankcase vent (pipe going to inlet off y-piece) and to the rocker cover vents?? Thus combining both systems.

Alternatively can you scrap the PCV system all together and have the crankcase vent into the catch can all the time - will this cause any problems.

Why am i so confused - i received this image from Roger Clark Motorsport regarding the installation of there catch can. As you can see he has the vent for the crankcase connected on the wrong side of the y - piece "I THINK" Can someone pls verify.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tion2Large.jpg

Many Thanks

Anthony
Old 09-02-2006, 02:02 AM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

See explanation in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTED
Can some please explain to me how the PCV system works in particular the crancase vent.

I'm trying to sort out how to safely / correctly connect a catch can.

This is my understanding...
On the crancase vent there is a y - piece attached (may have some type of valve) One pipe goes to the PCV valve on the intake manifold - the other to the intake - pre turbo. During engine vacuum the PCV valve opens creating a vacuum in the pipe connected to the y- piece causing the y- piece valve to open and vent the crancase gases into the intake?? Is this correct.

Yes

Is it ok to connect the catch can to the crankcase vent (pipe going to inlet off y-piece) and to the rocker cover vents?? Thus combining both systems.

Yes

Alternatively can you scrap the PCV system all together and have the crankcase vent into the catch can all the time - will this cause any problems.

No problems apart from a slightly 'stinky' car. This is what I consider the proper way to hook up a catch can as all waste is dumped to atmosphere via the catch can.
By keeping the PCV in the system you're kind of defeating the purpose of having the catch can because you'll still be drawing fumes containing petrochemicals in to the intake system. Advantage of this though is that you can't smell the fumes when you're idling/sitting at the lights because it's all being drawn back in to the engine.

Why am i so confused - i received this image from Roger Clark Motorsport regarding the installation of there catch can. As you can see he has the vent for the crankcase connected on the wrong side of the y - piece "I THINK" Can someone pls verify.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tion2Large.jpg

Many Thanks

Anthony
Old 09-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Slightly off topic, but you bought a catch can from Roger Clark Motorsport in the UK??

If so, can we see a photo of it? If its anything like the rest of the stuff that comes out of that workshop, its awesome
Old 09-02-2006, 08:13 AM
WRXRW

off-topic and hijacked, what u want is something custom like this sucker. you don't want no mass produced oil-air seperator, be no different than those dodgy greddy spec china knock off jobs, worthless. okay, so its a little more expensive yes, but you not only get something that actually works, but looks a million bucks too (hopefully without costing it) and its a one off which no-one has got.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~asupply...136_3683_1.JPG
Old 09-02-2006, 09:17 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

WANTED at standard level

Thanks for all the replys.

Balistic - I'm considering purchasing a Roger Clarck MotorSport Unit, but 175pounds its expensive plus another 33pounds for a fitting kit. Over $500 Aus just for a catch can!!!!

BluWRX - Thanks for your explanation. I just received an email from RCM indicating they vent all crankcase gases to the catch can and block off the other opening on the y - piece.

If i connect the can this way i assume i just remove the PCV valve from the manifold and block with a bung ??

In terms of a "stinky" car as mentioned - if i vent the can back into the intake dont i get the best of both worlds - no PCV Valve and no smell.

WRXRW - On the custom catch can pictured have you removed the PCV valve from the system all together?? I also noted you are venting the gases to atmosphere - isn't this illegal on the streets??

Thanks

Anthony
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Josh at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Josh

Ramon's car isn't really street legal with a full, weld in roll cage amongst many other modifications.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Thats not the RW. But what do u class 'street legal' when modifying a car?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Josh at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Josh

Oh, is that lockharts car?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:29 PM
WRXRW

yeah that's not my bad boy oil-air, this is...

http://www.cheekei.net/gallery/displ...lbum=43&pos=26

it doesn't have to be so difficult, one crank and two cam vents, three hoses and plug up everything else, otherwise, as jmax rightly pointed out, you bypass the use of having a seperator in the first place. illegal vent to atmo, mmm, not sure, could be.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

yeah ive heard venting blowby to atmo is illegal, something to do with it containing oil vapour

Tags
crancase, pcv, system, vent