Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

yeah, got to be careful using sti ecu on a forrie
if you went this path, i would check the AFRs on a dyno (and that wideband AFRs)
short term it may be ok, but long term (with combo old engine, too much boost, bad fuel, etc) its not a good recipe
you're better off using Power FC or equivalent ECU, plus you get more out of the motor/cams, etc
Old 20-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Scoobie Noobie

FoSti at standard level

You understood that im not writing a book you Goose!
Old 20-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Scoobie Noobie

FoSti at standard level

i use Ultimate fuel an my boost would only be set low so it runs fine with my ecu
Old 20-10-2010, 04:39 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
I understood exactly what he meant, seriously some of you guys need to fucking relax and lay off, he might have to search 200 threads and not find the answer he wants as it's unlikely it's been covered, you spend more time bagging people than giving them a simple fucking answer.

If it was a V3/V4 STI ECU and the pins were the same I'd say go for it as they will learn to certain extent but not too sure about the V5 compared to Foz pin set up, I know V7 is totally different.

And who makes you God laying into a new member, great welcome..................NOT!!!!!!
Thank you.

This is a forum for all. Be polite you mob of khunts

O.T.

boost isn't your only enemy, you only need a little load and you can pre-det. Get a tune, U98 is a very 'broad' fuel.
Old 20-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Running fine without checking air fuel ratio's is a disaster waiting to happen.

For $100-$150 you can get a power run on a dyno which will check your AFR's at a minimum. Too lean or too rich will mean you have to spend money building another motor.

In regards to your exhaust question, a 2.5" exhaust will be a power restriction, but will offer less noise. If your goal is not to be too loud, then go for it. If you want power, 3" exhaust is what you will want.

If it was my car, I'd be looking at getting a tune put on it asap to ensure the safety of the motor and to enjoy it.
Old 20-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

FoSti at standard level

Yeah haven't had any trouble with the car. An it was parts west who supplied an fit the engine. So i had assumed i would not need any reassurance ??
Old 20-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Take it from me as I've had some knob use a wrx ecu on my forester many moons ago and it drove find, no warnings. But as i was about to get a tune on the dyno, the AFRs were all over the shop and it went bang, Was a ticking time bomb.

The issue is not with the condition of the engine (it may be a contributing factor, if it wasn't looked after properly or abused and unless you did a full compression check of the original engine, you wont know).

You are using a Forester ECU, which is designed to run a higher compression Forester engine. So the ignition, timing, etc is not suited to a WRX (or STi) motor which has a lower compression and hence different ignition, timing, etc. Short term its fine, but all the safety built into your Forester ECU is there to protect a Forester motor. Easiest way to check condition now is put it on a dyno and get the AFR, again, wideband not the AFR reading that you get from your run of the mill $60 gauge. That's stoichiometric AFR, means shit all.

Feeding it U98 will buy you some time/insurance but does not eliminate the fact that its a ticking time bomb

Again, I've been through this. Not worth spending twice on a new engine.
Its a friendly advise here

Last edited by pmh; 20-10-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Tags
cam, camd, can i run diesel in my foz?, can my foz make 3700hp easily?, forged, foz, pimpreza = fun police, pistons, sti, vf24, welcome to pwx, will a weed wacker carby work?

« Tuning | EWG info »