Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Sir AntiLag

Bruce at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
yeh thats what i been told.. jsut need to find some bruce..

What did u think of the dulops??? fred said you ran them at one stage..

Which tyre lasted the longest??
Dunlops were very good but Advan's are better and last longer. I got 14 months out of my last of Advans v's 9months on Dunlops.....

Bruce
08 STI - Ugly Betty Bites!!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Tino, in summary...and remember as a rule of thumb that the softer the R Comp, the quicker it will come on song and the more grip it will have...until it overheats and then it will be outperformed by a harder compound. Softer compound tyres are generally the preference for wet/cool...but will also wear the quickest.
It is hard to compare wear rates exactly since it will depend on how the car is set up, its weight, its power, how they're heat cycled and of course the driving style...

Some of the R Comps I've used over the years are:

Yoko/Advan A050 - current tyre...excellent all round, come on reasonably quickly and have great grip
Dunlop DZ03 - M compound...come on quickly, great grip, go off when they heat up over multiple circuit laps. Don't last long...good for hillclimbs & short sprints...similar to A050. R compound...don't come on as quick as M but last longer than M
Bridgestone RE55 - various compounds...the softer ones have great grip but wear very quickly. Harder ones take longer to heat, but IMO are the best multi lap track tyre around.
Toyo 888 - good all round performer at a reasonable price. Not quite as good as A050's or DZ03's imo but not that far behind.
Silverstone WRC Tarmac Spec - the infamous "illegal" tyre...good grip and contrary to popular belief very good in the wet, but went off rather quickly because they were difficult to heat cycle properly. When they went off they were pretty poor.
Silverstone ZZ1 - these are legal...actually not a bad tyre and very well priced but suffer from heat cycling more than most.
Federal 595 RS - I inherited a set of these....they are a performance tyre that you can take on the track but they aren't an R Comp...somewhere between an R and a street tyre. Interestingly Federal have now brought out a "proper" R comp (designated "201" I think) and they are supposed to be reasonable ...Steve Glenney has used them successfully in the past. They are reasonably cheap but but only come in limited sizes.

Thats great advice there! Although I disagree with one being the Toyo 888's and although they do last quite a long time i would still be very generous and only call them "shit"

But maybe thats because most of the 888 stock in Aus are around 4 years old before they are sold!

Look up WA Trackdays on Facebook
Old 13-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Dunlops were very good but Advan's are better and last longer. I got 14 months out of my last of Advans v's 9months on Dunlops.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Thats great advice there! Although I disagree with one being the Toyo 888's and although they do last quite a long time i would still be very generous and only call them "shit"

But maybe thats because most of the 888 stock in Aus are around 4 years old before they are sold!
Looks like A050s are the go, so want to try them but there is no stock until next year it seems unless i go with the S compound which is too soft and would mean id need to take a spare set of rims to the track then change them over rather than just driving down on the rcomps...

The toyos are very cheep in comparison around 1600 for 4 build 2010 date so i might just opt for these for now and give them a try.. in Y compound i think which is medium... Then wait for the advans to come out..

I can always get the dunlops but there much pricer 2800 for set of 4 and even though they work well id like to try the advans first..

Tags
performance, rcomps, tyres