Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Do not use the PFC first.

1) PFC requires fuzzy logic setup including runing the aircon n lights so the self learn function on it is complete.

2) If it is a new PFC, the standard map is set very rich so you can tune safely. Not recommended to replace factory ecu if not tuned.

3) If the PFC is used, you will not know what tune is in it. injector corrections and duty will be very different

--- did you chg the maf off a working car? did you try cleaning the maf with contact cleaner?

--- what boost meter or instrument are you using to gauge the boost pressure? use a secondary boost reference to be sure that the vehicle is not overboosting.

--- any leaks down the up-pipe and manifold. might affect the O2 sensor which will then cause the ecu to counter the leak by making the engine run rich. This can then foul the plugs. Is it blowing black smoke out of the exhaust?

--- you said it improved when u found one faulty lead. did you chg the whole lead set? chging one while the other 3 are just as bad might not solve the problem.

--- a few guys here pointed to fuel. A faulty fuel pump will cause cut-off and eventually you will not be able to run the the engine. So chk the fuel pump. Also chg the fuel filter, could be clogged. Faulty injectors or clogged injectors are are, but u'll be very unlucky if it was.

Just go back to the basics:

1) You have a chk light --- really I will be looking at the maf --- but u said you changed it so was it a new one or one off another car of the same model that you were sure was working on it?

2) You need fuel, spark and compression to run the engine properly. So check these areas individually.

3) Also was timing affected in anyway before this happened?

Good luck with the problem solving. Will love to know what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69terra69 View Post
im thinking of putting my power fc i just bought in and wiping the tune to stock pfc tune is it okay to do this ??

and will it be better for the engine ??

Last edited by mao; 30-05-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 30-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

RS should have coil on plug.
Alot of people do the bosch coil conversion as they are known for failure. There is however a DIY guide somewhere on RSLC to retro fit the coils from a bugeye? to the RS engine.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

69terra69 at standard level

thanks mate this should keep me goin all day tommoro checking everything listed and i will update you how it goes.

--- did you chg the maf off a working car? did you try cleaning the maf with contact cleaner?

i am sure the afm i changed with is working unless it karked it from sitting for 3 months.

--- few guys here pointed to fuel. A faulty fuel pump will cause cut-off and eventually you will not be able to run the the engine. So chk the fuel pump. Also chg the fuel filter, could be clogged. Faulty injectors or clogged injectors are are, but u'll be very unlucky if it was.

im sure the fuel pump is fine its brand new.i do have another fuel filter i can chuck in.

--- any leaks down the up-pipe and manifold. might affect the O2 sensor which will then cause the ecu to counter the leak by making the engine run rich. This can then foul the plugs. Is it blowing black smoke out of the exhaust?

i dont think the up pipe is leaking but if i remeber correctly when i changed plugs the other day the 2 closet to the fire wall were very black.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

had a wrex come in the other day with a fuel pump problem similar to what you are saying here. We chged the pump and fuel filter and off she went.

Also please take note that 8 out of 10 walbro fuel pumps sold in Perth are fake. I am not going to point my fingers at which retailer, but you can PM me and let me know where you got your pump from.

Before you continue, find a mate with the same car and plug that afm in to see if it works fine. Won't want to do all the checks and find out it is the AFM.

Also check for leaks on the manifold and uppipe and around the turbo. You will see a very obvious black around the pipe or connection where the leak is.

also, now that you have changed the plugs, remove them again, and take a look once more. Then use a wire brush and brush them clean n chuck them back in and let me know the condition of the plugs.

Also you could do this, remove each lead and plug a spark plug into it and put the spark plug tip against a conductive metal part on the engine. Get a friend to crank the engine over and you stand over the engine and see if it sparks. BE VERY SURE TO INSULATE YOUR HANDS WITH RUBBER GLOVES while doing this.

If you dont see any spark, the plug or lead is faulty. If you see a very weak spark compared to the others, same thing.

Last edited by mao; 30-05-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

OT - but always amazed at the help and information that comes from this forum.
Old 31-05-2011, 05:43 PM

well today i am pretty sure i have fixed the problem as of now, i have taken it for a drive maybe around 40mins up and down the gears as much as i could and it seemed to boost fine on 10psi. well over 5 mins where it wasnt boosting before.

so one of the first things i did was too change the fuel filter, then i heat shrunk the wires going to the coils as i suspected they were arcing out on the manifold from the exposed wire.

i also sprayed every connection with contact cleaner.

then i found that stupidly i forgot to put the gasket in between my dump and the turbo housing as there was alot of black splatter everywhere.

this was all i done then as i said i took it for a drive and it seems fine, but after the long drive i seen smoke coming from the bonnet so i had a look and it looks like it might be when i spilt power steering fluid all over the headers.

how long will this take to burn off ?

as if its not the power steering fluid it might be a leaking rocker cover.

thanks for all your help hopfully it is fixed and doesnt play up in the next couple days
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Well done! If you spilt power steering fluid, it will take maybe half an hour to an hr to burn off.

I have seen rocker covers leak so bad that smoke actually continually rise through the bonnet. Check your oil level over the next few days as well and monitor that leak if that is the cause of the smoking.

Keep us updated.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
Well done! If you spilt power steering fluid, it will take maybe half an hour to an hr to burn off.

I have seen rocker covers leak so bad that smoke actually continually rise through the bonnet. Check your oil level over the next few days as well and monitor that leak if that is the cause of the smoking.

Keep us updated.
ok i will monitor my oil as its still doing it so im thinking it could be my rocker cover.

and to my surprise my car started hesitating on boost on the way home from work today grrrr.

so now im on the hunt for a new afm to suit RS liberty or wrx to suit.

cheerz,james

Tags
boost, cut