Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 09:38 PM
STI Master

Shinobiken at standard level
Default GC8 cannot get in gear

Hi Gents,

I've spent the last 1 hour trying to search the forum for some answers, but didn't find a similar case to my problem. If you have seen a post with a similar case, please direct me to it.

Car: 99 Gc8 Wrx
Relevant mods: 05 sti 6 speed with dccd (5 months ago), Exedy sports tuff clutch modified to suit 6 speed and exedy 6kg lightened flywheel (2 years ago).

So here's the story, last time i drove it was on friday, everything was fine, then yesterday i drove it out to the driveway, washed it, then drove it back into the garage to polish it, still good. Today was about to go out, hopped into the car, start the engine and let it warm up, trying to get into reverse, gear crunch, clutch out and back in, try putting it in reverse again, still crunch. then try put it in any other gear, none of the gear goes in. Stop the engine, trying to get into any gear with or without clutch, no luck.

Switched off engine, got out of the car, checked for hydraulic oils on the floor, nothing on the floor, check gearbox oil, level is fine, checked engine oil, brake fluid, powersteering oil just for the fuck of it, level all good.

Jump into the car, before starting the engine, i managed to get it into first, so i attempted to start the car while its still in first and clutch pedal in, the car hopped forward as if clutching in doesn't disengage at all.

Car will be towed to workshop for a proper fix hopefully this week. But it'd be much appreciated if any of the guru's here can give me a heads up on what i'm up for. Cheers guys.
Old 29-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

check that the clutch fork is moving, and check if it is still connected to the pressure plate. Try pushing the clutch fork all the way rearwards. It might have disconnected from the thrust bearing. If not it may have shat it'self.

Have you been for a drive, to see if the gearbox works normally without the clutch? (you should be able to change gears withouth the clutch carefully) or does it move forwards in all forward gears.
Old 29-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Clutch reservoir still full?

It's common for the rubber line to the clutch slave on top of the box to fail.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 29-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

If the clutch feels normal, ie; springs back all the way to the top, then I suspect that the friction disc has stuck (rusted) to the clutch or flywheel because water got onto it when you washed the car.

Put the car in 1st gear, start it up with the clutch pushed down and let it hop away down the road until it unsticks, if not, drive it home in 1st gear and bring it in to me tomorrow and I'll fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtrally For This Useful Post:
Alternate (01-04-2016)
Old 29-05-2011, 11:41 PM
STI Master

WhiteRX: Where can i see the fork movement? from the engine bay or underneth the car?

Rossco: Yea the reservoir is full (assuming its the one next to the tmic?)

Doug: Yes, clutch do feel normal and springs all the way back to the top. I'll try start it in 1st gear and having it hop around see if i can get it unstuck tomorrow morning. Would be very much appreciated if i can get you to fix it sometime this week if you're not too busy. However it most likely won't be tomorrow (Monday) as i have to organise time off work and lifts to drop car off etc. If it turns out to be what you're suspecting, how long do you think it'll take to fix it you reckon?

Many thanks guys for the constructive feedback, very much appreciated.

Ken
Old 30-05-2011, 10:30 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

If its rusted as Doug says it should free its self you would think by just driving it a bit.
Old 30-05-2011, 11:58 AM
STI Master

This morning i did what Doug told me to do and was able to free the clutch, now the car is back to normal!!

Question is when will it get stuck again and how did the water get into the clutch and flywheel in the first place just by washing the car?
Old 30-05-2011, 01:12 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

make sure you have that flywheel inspection cover in place near the turbo, also check you cluch fork boot for splits, water can enter here from the scoop
Old 30-05-2011, 01:28 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
make sure you have that flywheel inspection cover in place near the turbo, also check you cluch fork boot for splits, water can enter here from the scoop
Cool man, i'll check after work today, didn't know such things exist. You wouldn't have a picture that you can mark up to show where these are do you?
Old 30-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Clutch fork is under the intercooler near the starter motor, just in front of the slave cylinder.

Tags
gc8, gear