Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   coilovers (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/43690-coilovers.html)

mao 27-07-2011 06:04 PM

We have worked on the BMW E39 M5 back in 2001. We put on Bilsteins PSS 9 coilovers back then and the Remus catback on this M5 rego:S10NG if anyone remembers the car.

We also took out the V8 Dyno trophy with that car at the Perth Auto Salon in the same year.

Anyway, the E39 M5 and the E39 540 V8 shares the same suspension.
Will PM you info and pricing tmr and make sure they are for the V8 versions.

Regards.

RichX 27-07-2011 06:13 PM

So with HSD's - The dampning notch is on the bottom of the strut once they are installed, so you have to adjust from underneath (hoist preferable) - if you are under the car facing towards the engine, clockwise or anticlockwise to stiffen/soften?

Strubaru 27-07-2011 06:15 PM

sweet mate, let me know

Rexxar 27-07-2011 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;590247]So with HSD's - The dampning notch is on the bottom of the strut once they are installed, so you have to adjust from underneath (hoist preferable) - if you are under the car facing towards the engine, clockwise or anticlockwise to stiffen/soften?[/QUOTE]

set them 2nd click from the hardest setting and set and forget :) love my HSD HR

RichX 27-07-2011 06:25 PM

Yeah will do cuz, bit clockwise or anticlockwise as per my previous post ... :)

kid 27-07-2011 07:08 PM

How low did you guys go with the HSDs?

When mine arrive i plan to just take it to a suspension place and just tell them how low and what firmness setting and be done with it....i assume theres not much else to adjust on the HSDs?

Soksta 27-07-2011 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=kid;590285]How low did you guys go with the HSDs?

When mine arrive i plan to just take it to a suspension place and just tell them how low and what firmness setting and be done with it....i assume theres not much else to adjust on the HSDs?[/QUOTE]

When I had them installed, Wheels World left them on the middle setting (8th click) so that I could see which way I wanted to go towards.
Before the last skid pan day, I had them set back down to the 3rd (softest?) setting and they handled a treat!

Have over 18000km on them so far and besides one small issue, everything has gone pretty darn well :D

RichX 27-07-2011 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=kid;590285]How low did you guys go with the HSDs?
[/QUOTE]

Low :) If you aren't! rolling the guards and dialling in some camber you're not going low enough.

HSD's have height and dampner adjustment, the HSD's were one of, it not the best mod I have done. The car is just totally different afterwards. Be prepared for some stiffness and a totally different ride and feel to what you are used to!

So much so that I am going to throw a full Perrin swaybars, endlinks etc etc kit in next.

Soksta - Are yours totally silent?

Soksta 27-07-2011 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;590299]Soksta - Are yours totally silent?[/QUOTE]

I had a small amount of squeeking due to one of the pillow balls in the top hat, but this has been replaced.
Thanks Joe :D

Besides that, the only noise I have since noted was an increase in cabin noise due to the increased stiffness in the suspension (less force gets absorbed in the struts now as mechanical movement), but besides that, they have been pretty good!

RichX 27-07-2011 07:33 PM

When i am creeping out my driveway notice they make .. not a creaking noise, but like a squeechy kind of sound. In for less than a month. No performance issues, just funny sound. Only notice it when radio off and no road noise.