Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   TAIL Happy - is there such thing as too stiff ? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/46277-tail-happy-there-such-thing-too-stiff.html)

ewrxion87 07-12-2011 04:54 PM

TAIL Happy - is there such thing as too stiff ?

hey guys,

after installing my coilovers a few weeks ago, i was in Perth for 2 days this week away from work and luckily it was wet so i could finally test the handling out at the skid pan.
i thought id give it abit on corners and round abouts to see how well she would hold.

with the new suspension setup and tyres.... the tail just wanted to kick out if i yanked a tad too hard...

whats everyones opinion on this...is my setup too stiff...is there such thing as too stiff i always thought stiffer the better ?

im running -

whiteline strut brace
adjustable whiteline sways all round
whiteline bushes all thru (chassis is tight)
anti lift kit
BC racing inverted damper coilovers with the 30 way adj....

i have been playing with the 30 way dampening 0 being hardest and 30 being softest.... i had them on 0 and she was brilliant for handling but i could feel every ant on the road ;)

now i have them back at factory 8 they came shipped as. which is a little nicer to drive and handling as well.

has anyone got any recommendations on the settings ?

im wondering if its because i have brand new falkens tyres on there maybe they need to wear a little bit first for that extra traction...im not sure.

cheers

teejay 07-12-2011 05:03 PM

Sounds like the issue lies in the drivers seat

Mister Two 07-12-2011 05:14 PM

What are your alignment settings?
And you may want to soften the dampening on the rear shocks a little.

ewrxion87 07-12-2011 05:17 PM

LOL - i have no doubt :P

i was giving it abit - i just expected it to hold a little better,... in the dry its crazy i can take 90 degree corner on boost and stick like glue.

might bite the bullet and put yoko advan sports back on or even a good set of federals

[QUOTE=teejay;633932]Sounds like the issue lies in the drivers seat[/QUOTE]

RichX 07-12-2011 05:19 PM

I have my rear suspension setup somewhat stiff, HSD's on 4 clicks from stiffest, 25mm rear sway bar, hd end links, 225 good jap rubber on 8.5inch rims, and she doesn't kick out very easily, even in the wet.

ewrxion87 07-12-2011 05:20 PM

i got wa suspension to do it... i basically said i want it to drive straight..

i didnt want any camber... i figured with awd...and new tyres id be fine. plus i didnt want to sacrifice tread for camber.

settings - couldnt tell ya.

when im home next il soften the back then maybe by 2 clicks first....

ive been doing it with balance to the front...assuming that was the ebst for weight balance etc... but im clearly wrong so im open to suggestions

[QUOTE=Mister Two;633938]What are your alignment settings?
And you may want to soften the dampening on the rear shocks a little.[/QUOTE]

ewrxion87 07-12-2011 05:22 PM

mmmm maybe im lacking the rubber ?

im running stock 205 still but they brand new falken 615's

what rubber you running?

[QUOTE=RichX;633941]I have my rear suspension setup somewhat stiff, HSD's on 4 clicks from stiffest, 25mm rear sway bar, hd end links, 225 good jap rubber on 8.5inch rims, and she doesn't kick out very easily, even in the wet.[/QUOTE]

RichX 07-12-2011 05:24 PM

Nitto Invo's, great tyre.

I ran Falken RT615's before these, and I thought they were total shit compared.

[IMG]http://www.torqueautoperformance.mx/images/invo%20nitto.jpg[/IMG]

phizzle 07-12-2011 05:27 PM

You want to set the rear swaybar to the middle setting unless you are on a racetrack. You also want to soften the rear bump and rebound settings so that the rear will squat under acceleration slightly. You can aid this by having a "raked" stance which means having the rear sit 0.5 to an inch higher than the front. It's all about weight transfer and dynamics. A little bit of camber is also a good thing but not too much.

Just remember (at all times, not just when it's dry), you will have heaps of grip at compared-to-a-commodore insane speeds. It's when you go just that little bit too far or hit a mid bump corner and all hell breaks loose you realise that you are going waaaay too fast to do anything about it.

My advice would be do not drive like a cock on public roads. Save it for a track day where you can really exploit the car's abilities and maybe, just maybe, find out what your limits are.

ewrxion87 07-12-2011 05:27 PM

wow they even look wicked...
never heard of them to be honest... il research them now.