Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 09:21 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

RedMY01Owen at standard level
Default Top radiator hose fouling on radiator fan.

Hi everybody,

I own a 2002 WRX STI and as i was driving home from work yesterday I noticed the smell of burning coolant. Not sure where it was coming from I continued driving but kept an eye on the water temp gauge. I noticed that the temp gauge was creeping up but as I had just had to slow down in traffic, my A/C was on and it was quite a hot day I didn't think too much of it. As I continued driving the temp kept going up so I pulled over and opened the bonnet, there was coolant everywhere! I looked around for a hose that had come off but couldn't find one, I then noticed that coolant from the top radiator hose was dripping onto one of the radiator fans. I took the hose off, it had been fouling on the radiator fan and had worn down enough (through 2 layers of rubber) that the pressure had burst it.

I'm not sure what models this will affect but it may be worth checking your top radiator hose to see if it's in contact with the radiator fan. I repaired the old hose and cut about 1cm off the end that connects to the engine before fitting it, it still seals fine and it doesn't foul anymore. I now have a new hose (genuine, from Subaru) and it's nowhere near the fan.

Owen

Last edited by RedMY01Owen; 20-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Sir AntiLag

squid at standard level

I had this problem when I put my new radiator I'n
So cut a couple of cm of each end of the new hose
I've got my05 sti, 50mm rad

:)
Old 20-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Has your car been in any accidents previously?

If you're running OEM hoses and radiator, and the hoses are pushed on all the way, its normally a sign of a tweaked rad support bar.
Old 20-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Sir AntiLag

squid at standard level

I kissed a tree And slid backwards into a rose garden
All I'n the same week with Ricky lol

When I replaced radiator,
All the radiator mounts are fine,
But the fan mounts were fkd,

So the oversize koyo radiator aswell as the lack off bottom fan mounts was the problem.

Cable ties ftw.

:)
Old 20-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMY01Owen View Post
Hi everybody,

I own a 2002 WRX STI and as i was driving home from work yesterday I noticed the smell of burning coolant. Not sure where it was coming from I continued driving but kept an eye on the water temp gauge. I noticed that the temp gauge was creeping up but as I had just had to slow down in traffic, my A/C was on and it was quite a hot day I didn't think too much of it. As I continued driving the temp kept going up so I pulled over and opened the bonnet, there was coolant everywhere! I looked around for a hose that had come off but couldn't find one, I then noticed that coolant from the top radiator hose was dripping onto one of the radiator fans. I took the hose off, it had been fouling on the radiator fan and had worn down enough (through 2 layers of rubber) that the pressure had burst it.

I'm not sure what models this will affect but it may be worth checking your top radiator hose to see if it's in contact with the radiator fan. I have a new hose now and cut about 1cm off the end that connects to the engine before fitting it, it still seals fine and it doesn't foul anymore.

Owen
This is common as when the hose gets old and swells, or it may be on back to front, the arrow on the hose points in the direction of coolant flow, eg, towards the radiator.
You just need to replace the hose and bleed the system, it will be fine.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 20-02-2012, 01:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

RedMY01Owen at standard level

I think you may be right Joe, the support bar does have some cosmetic damage so it may also be bent. After installing the new hose and replacing the coolant all is well.

Tags
fan, fouling, hose, radiator, top