Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Lithast at standard level
Default Clutch feel changed + oil where it shouldn't be

Picked up my new HSD coil overs from Joe today (thanks again mate fantastic service). As I was driving away I noticed that my gear changes were shocking. Payed some closer attention and it felt like the clutch was very different to what I was used to. The bite that used to be in the last 2/5th's of the upward stroke was gone. Have been driving it around tonight and can't fault the operation of the car at all but it just feels very different. The feel of the clutch grabbing is gone, now it is just very smooth. Still seems to have the same effect and works fine but the feedback in the pedal is gone.

Dug up an old thread on diagnosing a slipping clutch and tried WOT from 2-5k revs in 4th gear down on the freeway but no slippage and no smell of any kind from the car. Checked all the fluids and everything looks normal.

While checking the clutch fluid found this not sure what it means but I'm guessing it is not good. Only oil leakage I know of is from the rocker cover gaskets so not sure whats happening there. Engine has done 264k kms.. Car has never smoked and never had burning oil smell once.

The car is booked in to STechnic on thursday to get the HSD's installed. Also booked into Tony Flood next week for a full timing belt service, water pump, reseal the oil pump and replace the rocker cover gaskets. With the reputation these two guys have around here I'm sure it will get sorted but it would be nice to know what I'm in for so that I can manage some expectations with the misses..
Old 28-02-2012, 10:02 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

clutch master cylinder or hose
Old 28-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Hole in your intercooler

Simon.
Old 28-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Bear with me here guys learning as I go. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction.

Is it advisable to drive the car with a possible issue with the master clutch cylinder.. the clutch is a hydraulic assembly isn't it?
Old 28-02-2012, 11:43 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

it can be a bit risky & gearbox synchros could be subject to more wear/damage.
yes the clutch uses hydraulic actuation
Old 28-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Cheers ill ask the guys to take a look on thursday then and baby it to work tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

steenler at standard level

That is an intercooler hose with the oil on it, degrease it and the run the engine and watch for any leaks that would be coming from that area. Always follow the leak from the highest point and remember that oil will always fall backwards as well as it blows back as you drive.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

If you depress (pump) the clutch pedal around 5-8 times can you select and drive the car as normal?, if yes the. It's most probably the clutch master that's gone, if not look at the slave on top of the box, it's also not uncommon for subarus to split the runner line from the clutch mater to the slave

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next

Tags
changed, clutch, feel, oil