Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SH06UN at standard level
Default Suspension Knocking

Had the unfortunate prang last year; and insurance replaced frnt pass strut and control arm. They replaced the strut with an STI strut, but insurance said that was fine(much to my disgust). There's a knocking now from the front pass suspension that knocks like crazy when driving over corrugated tracks.
I'm not sure if this could be bushes, spring/seats(STI has the larger seat pans), or something else.
I'm not up to speed on suspension know how.

I'm not sure yet what it is and what to do.
Go back to insurance and complain they should have used a WRX strut, not an STI, and yell at them to reinstall a WRX strut; and recheck it all. Been over 6mths.

Get all the suspension replaced myself and forget about the pain of dealing with insurance and dodgy smash repair shop. Need to budget.
Old 25-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

id be hitting the insurance shop up.

or changing your insurance.

Long live the WRC
Old 25-03-2012, 09:52 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

steenler at standard level

Didn't think that a Sti strut would fit a standard wrx
Old 25-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Just give the insurance company a call. The damping rate of the LHF STi shock has a different damping rate to the RHF wrx shock. Although the STi shock will fit the wrx, having different damping shocks left and right will throw the vehicle off balance. The STi shock shares the same body as the wrx shock, but if u look at it closely, there is a bottom screw at the botton where the STi catridge has been inserted.

Anyhow, because of the in-balance in the weight distribution, something would had to give. Just call the insurance company and inform them and ask for it to be done properly.

GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH06UN View Post
Had the unfortunate prang last year; and insurance replaced frnt pass strut and control arm. They replaced the strut with an STI strut, but insurance said that was fine(much to my disgust). There's a knocking now from the front pass suspension that knocks like crazy when driving over corrugated tracks.
I'm not sure if this could be bushes, spring/seats(STI has the larger seat pans), or something else.
I'm not up to speed on suspension know how.

I'm not sure yet what it is and what to do.
Go back to insurance and complain they should have used a WRX strut, not an STI, and yell at them to reinstall a WRX strut; and recheck it all. Been over 6mths.

Get all the suspension replaced myself and forget about the pain of dealing with insurance and dodgy smash repair shop. Need to budget.
Old 26-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Whatever the case they should have replaced both front struts not just one side....new >> damping than old...
Old 28-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SH06UN at standard level

Thanks for the input guys, I'm taking the car to the smash repairers tomorrow.
Ive spoken with good ol' Melville Subaru and confirmed a few things about the parts, warranty and struts .
The odd thing is( to my neglect of checking) they should have known the exact strut to order by checking the vehicle VIN as far as I know. How they managed to order and install an STI strut I do not know. It seems everytime I take the car into a shop, they stuff something up; which makes me have less trust in shops when I have my car taken in for work.
Wherever possible I'm going to hit the insurance company for this as hard as
I can. The sad part is this reputable insurance company couldnt give a damn about my concerns today, they insisted by nearly hanging up that I have to take it up with the repairers. They really only give a damn about their money lined pockets that's for sure.

Last edited by SH06UN; 28-03-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Tags
knocking, suspension