Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 01:30 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

steenler at standard level
Default Grimmspeed electronic boost controller

Hi to all,

Have ordered myself a Grimmspeed electronic boost controller solenoid for my 2006 wrx sedan and am able to install myself although I am aware that a tune is necessary before driving the car after the boost controller is installed.

My question is can I install the boost controller at home then drive the car into the workshop for the tune or should I just get workshop to install?

Thanks guys
Old 28-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

I'd install the vast majority of it like electrics, gauge and vacuum hoses to the unit under the bonnet then let the tuner do the final plumbing to the unit.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 30-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

Abit of a thread hijack, but I would like to note down to future people who are researching on whether to get this or other 3 port electronic boost control solenoid when going in for a first tune with most probably a TBE and CAI (no upgrade to turbo)

Mao from Evolution R informed me that even on the standard TD04, a 3 port electronic boost control solenoid would definitely help out to control the boost at higher rpms. I've researched quite abit on it and what I came to was that a whole heap of people were saying you won't/don't need it for a TD04 (as there's not enough boost running, not enough pressure bla bla bla). That was the sole reason why I did not purchase it before the tune. A lot of people say you will see the benefit with bigger turbos and higher boost and that you should wait until you upgrade your turbo before purchasing the 3 port electronic boost control solenoid.

IMO, for a product that cost about $120 and barely any negligible time in installing it, I would advice future WRX owners to get it if you are thinking of getting it even though you're on a standard TD04 turbo as advised to me by my tuner.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

So how much gain did you get out of installing it?

I think that is what most people are referring to when you have a TD04. Characteristics of the turbo are that it tapers hard off boost from around 5000rpm, so no matter how much control you have, it will still drop off boost. 95% of the gain will be from the tune, exhaust and filter and maybe up to 5% for using a different 3 port boost control method.

(In saying that, I would get one as 99% will upgrade the turbo at some point anyway)
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

I do not have a 3 port electronic boost control solenoid sadly. As from my research on the web, everyone says to hold off until you upgrade your turbo as you won't need it at all for the TD04. But Mao told me after the tune that I would definitely benefit from it without even me asking him if I needed it. And Mao (as far as I'm aware) does not even sell any 3 port electronic boost control solenoid so he isn't making a sales pitch. This just leads me to believe that if you are going in for a first tune, it's worth getting it as it doesn't cost that much more.

I might get it along with a STI top mount intercooler and send it in for a retune and post back the gains.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

Sorry to hijack, I'm looking at getting one of these, but earliest I can find is 2002..
However when searching on car mods aus, it still picks these up for gc8??
Will they fit a gc8?
I need to order today to get it before next weeks tune, the Macs bcs I'd bought off eBay from USA has fallen through after not receiving after 3 weeks...

Thanks in advance
Ashley

Tags
boost, controller, electronic, grimmspeed