Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

DNGRUSS at standard level

air flow meter was replaced at last service mate and is all ok. the guys i use (allstar garage) i got on to through this forum and find them helpful.

yeah i am keeping in mind this engine has done a fair amount of ks. even if i upgrade the turbo i'm still going to drive on the careful side.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If ASG has made this diagnosis, I would trust their opinion.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGRUSS View Post
even if i upgrade the turbo i'm still going to drive on the careful side.

Then what is the point of upgrading the turbo if you have to drive it carefully? Would reconditioning the existing turbo, or buying a newer (ie: better condition) turbo of the same type be wiser so you know the engine will be working within its means?

Not a critism, but a point I want to put forward in the debate of pushing old motors hard.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Then what is the point of upgrading the turbo if you have to drive it carefully? Would reconditioning the existing turbo, or buying a newer (ie: better condition) turbo of the same type be wiser so you know the engine will be working within its means?

Not a critism, but a point I want to put forward in the debate of pushing old motors hard.
If you want to open that debate, what's the point in modifying a street car when there are speed limits and such in place? I get what you're saying, and yes it can be seen as pointless financially, but ideally the same can be said about modifying.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Yeah, nah, different debate. This is about a shagged out motor having a bigger and better turbo bolted on to make more power, only to nanna it so it doesnt pop. It doesnt make sence to upgrade it so it can make loads of power, only to baby it so it doesnt make much power.

Im saying, keep it stock-ish, but add newer/refreshed components so its tip top but making power within the factory power band.

Does that make sence?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
If ASG has made this diagnosis, I would trust their opinion.
yeah this ^^
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

How long it will last is the one question nobody can truly give a definate answer on.
Does it have its full service history?
How hard has it been driven over the course of its life to date?
Does it even still have its original engine?

If you are that concerned I would be getting a compression leak down test and then decide if you wanna smash in more boost or not.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Ta folks good points. To clarify i don't run this car at the track, i use the bike for that. I use this car to zip my kid around and to commute to work.

Motor is the original. As far as myself and the previous owner it hasn't had a hard life, ASG still feels its going strong although the ks are getting on the higher side.

Reality is the engine is getting older and has a fair few ks, but between the last two services the acceleration after 3k rpm is less and the diagnosis is the turbo is getting on. If i'm going to replace it was debating whether to upgrade or replace with the stock item. My line of thinking is i'd rather upgrade and get a few more kws out, i'm prepared for a rebuild or engine replacement when the time comes. The question was if i upgrade which turbo should i get? You guys have answered that well, cheers.

The issues on why increase power/ speed limits/ is a bit beyond this thread. I'm looking at upgrading purely for fun value, to get my guts pushed into the back of the seat that bit more when i floor it every once in a while. The intention was to have this car stock as a rock for a bit then try and do a few more performance upgrades. If that requires a rebuild later down the track which is inevitable with an older car then so be it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Then what is the point of upgrading the turbo if you have to drive it carefully? Would reconditioning the existing turbo, or buying a newer (ie: better condition) turbo of the same type be wiser so you know the engine will be working within its means?.
The original turbo on his version is a poor performer even when new. They are durable but small and fairly low tech. ie; plain bearing, basic compressor design. Reconditioning a TD04 would be a massive waste of money as they are plentiful in the seond hand market off relatively new cars for only a few hundred bucks. No one wants them, they are about as valuable as used brake pads.

The VF34 is the logical upgrade as they are much newer/better in design, roller bearing and very cost effective.
GTB Liberty likes this.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
The original turbo on his version is a poor performer even when new. They are durable but small and fairly low tech. ie; plain bearing, basic compressor design. Reconditioning a TD04 would be a massive waste of money as they are plentiful in the seond hand market off relatively new cars for only a few hundred bucks. No one wants them, they are about as valuable as used brake pads.

The VF34 is the logical upgrade as they are much newer/better in design, roller bearing and very cost effective.
Thanks mate, this was something i wasn't sure about as well.

Tags
lazy, replace, turbo