Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Like Matthew says, take it to a real supsension shop. Now that John is no longer at Wheels World, I would recommend taking it to Wilkinsons in Bayswater...they will sort it.

Like Dougie says, that front camber measurement is bullshit...how they let the car go with those angles is beyond me. Also there is more camber on the rear than the front! I would be looking for about 1 to maybe 1.5 neg front (which will give you a bit better turn in without wearing the insides of the tyres too much) and no more than 1 neg rear (with zero toe)..

Last edited by nauli; 08-10-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

andrew_rs at standard level

OK, so after reading these replies and doing some searching last night, rage mode has been engaged .

I'm not about to let them just take my money for doing a half ass job though. I'll take it back and see if they can sort it and if not, I will be looking at getting a refund and going elsewhere.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

ratpack at standard level

Some tyre shops can do alignments well thanks Dougal

But more likely an effort and knowledge issue by the looks of it. No toe adjustment done to the rear, no camber adjustment done at the front... Half assed effort...
jEstEr?, dtrally, Wavey and 1 others like this.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM

OK, so I went back down there this morning, initially they started off by saying that my car did not have adjustable camber at the front, the bloke then started to talk a fair amount of BS saying stuff like the rubbers on the strut tops have deteriorated causing the strut to bow out which was what was causing the pull, and that the camber measurement was not anything to do with the pull. I was insistent that you can in fact adjust the camber on the front struts and so they put it up on the hoist and sure enough found the camber bolts.

They said they adjusted the right camber as much as they could. So the final measurements are FL +0.05° FR -0.30°. So everything is within spec now but I am still pretty disappointed that they didn't correct the left to compensate for the right negative camber... at the end of the day though they did the job and that is all I can really ask of them.

The pull I believe is gone now, maybe still a tad is there but it is much less noticeable and I am probably just being neurotic now.

I am also dumbfounded that a tyre shop which offers wheel alignments does not think that uneven camber could be a problem especially seeing as their business is to make sure your tyres last as long as possible...

Ah well lesson learnt, I won't be getting a wheel alignment done at a tyre shop anymore, will take it to a proper suspension shop.

Last edited by andrew_rs; 08-10-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

I think most of you are forgetting that a wheel alginment is not a wheel alignment. I know for a fact that we would adjust the cambers and toe, and whatever else we could but we would sure as hell charge for it.

I bet the op paid like $60 for his wheel alignment. What do you expect to be done in that time? Set the toe and let it go...

If he paid more like $150 plus then the camber etc should have been done, and for more like $250 a 4 wheel alignment and adjustment, but I'm sure he didn't.
Patch likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRX View Post
a wheel alginment is not a wheel alignment.
Seems to me that if you advertise and the customer pays for a "wheel alignment", the customer should receive a wheel alignment, not any variation of the phrase "wheel alignment".
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Expecting what you paid for and then getting annoyed when you didn't get it. You should be ashamed of yourself Andrew RS.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM

JiggyJigs at standard level

Quote:
I am also dumbfounded that a tyre shop which offers wheel alignments does not think that uneven camber could be a problem especially seeing as their business is to make sure your tyres last as long as possible...
Ummm I'd suggest it's in their interests for your tyres not to last as long as possbile. Not suggesting that's what they did...but your quote implies a lot of trust.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_rs View Post
Seems to me that if you advertise and the customer pays for a "wheel alignment", the customer should receive a wheel alignment, not any variation of the phrase "wheel alignment".

No what type of wheel alignment did you want? A toe adjustment? A castor camber making bolt holes oval moving crossmember 5 hour to perfection wheel alignment? That is what I did on my car and it took me proberly 3 days of driving, adjusting, driving, adjusting to get right. Though I do have +7 castor and -3.5 camber, but it took me hours to come up with the just right setting.

I take it that you have never done a wheel alignment before. To get one just right can take literally hours. What should have been done though is the customer educated, that there are many different types of wheel alignments.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

You get what you pay for. $60 is only going to get you half an hour usually. Only enough time for them to adjust the toe. If the car needs more work to get it right they should give you the option of spending more to get it right. That's the difference between a decent shop doing a proper wheel alignment/full 'set up' and a quick toe adjustment that 99% of the population couldn't care less about.

There's many tyre and suspension shops in Perth that can be trusted to do a proper job. Use some of the recommendations on here to find one that's close to you.
WhiteRX and grumpyrex like this.

Tags
alignment, car, left, pulls, tyres, wheel