Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-05-2006, 06:30 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level
Default 03 STI 6 speed

has anyone with an STI 6 speed had hard notchy gear changes in a box that they personally know hasn't been slaughtered?

originally my gearbox was near impossible to change down to 2nd or 1st when it was cold

example:: start car, back out, drive a cuppla hundred metres, roundabout, need to come to a complete stop to get from 3rd down to 2nd or 2nd down to 1st. i took this to subaru, complained (while i had a cuppla months warranty left) and they put auto trans fluid in to thin it up. problem solvered.

well, now 4th is a beeyatch! it's notchy going from 3rd to 4th and it's NASTY from 5th to 4th. this gearbox has not been slaughtered since i've owned it, if anything, only the clutch because i'd rather slip it than do a box, the gears have never been smashed. i wouldn't be surprised if the 4th problem is synchro's thanks to the auto trans fluid...

so.... 1. has anyone had the same problem?
2. has anyone solved this problem with a specific oil?

i know, i know, redline lightweight shockproof is the go... i know how good this oil is, i've had it in the past.. but i want to know from someone who has used a specific oil and proven it's worth.. and i'll change it tomorrow.

otherwise, i keep going till my synchro's are gone and i'll put all new synchro's through the box. (and whatever else it's worn)
Old 26-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

MY STI at standard level

i have had bad gear changes going up through the gears but never going down
Old 26-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

i have an 04 box and today i was shifting from 2nd to 1st and it made a very loud crunch on the same road i blew my box 6 months ago lol but this isnt a 6 speed, i thought the 6 speeds were very strong??
Old 26-05-2006, 08:54 PM
STI Master

REXXX at standard level

have the same problems here mingin.
problem only really exists with 2nd gear. 1st - 2nd shifts feel very dodgy, sometimes crunching - and this is with very soft slow shifts.
usually when cold, it wont even go into 2nd at all.

i have Motul FF Comp oil in the box which hasn't really helped.
will be trying the RL Lightweight Shockproof next since i have had good experiences with it in my old wrx.

not what you'd expect from a 20,000km old 05 STi.
i have yet to query subaru about the problem... definately feels like a gone synchro.
Old 26-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

thats weird cos ive only ever had a problem on a downshift and never on an upshift
Old 27-05-2006, 08:59 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

REXXX, definitely see a subaru dealer, but in all honesty, find out what they do. I am not one of these that slag of the dealers, i work for them on occasion... but with my complaint, they said, yep, we've had a few, we put auto oil in them and it fixes it, the standard oil is too thick.
well, obviously Fuji Heavy Industries don't have millions to spend on R&D.
so, auto oil, fixed my gearshift in 1st/2nd when cold. sweet as, don't have a problem at all anymore.... but because the oil is so thin, it's going to wear synchro's and gears faster. which is maybe why 4th is doing what it does now.
the more i am typing, the more i am thinking redline LWSP is the go. when I originally got it, I spoke to the tech guy at redline and without his sales pitch, the oil is really thin when cold (which i have seen, it's like water going into the box) but at operating temperatures it behaves like a (don't quote me) 120/150W oil even though it's a 80/90W... I think that might do it... it will slow the synchro's down more when warm, which will help my 4th selection and will be thin enough when cold which will help 1st/2nd on the first 5 minutes driving.... well, i think i've made my decision.

thanks for the comment on the motul, if it hasn't made a huge difference, then i won't bother with it.

the reason i went with the subaru dealer to fix it was because it's under warranty and i figured, f*$& it, i am not putting redline in when it's a problem that subaru should know about and should fix properly rather than me having to fix it myself using aftermarket oils.

Topgear, as for the 6sp being stronger than 5sp, i believe those comments get thrown around when comparing what withstands your big rev/clutch dropping drag style driving better.
Old 27-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Sir AntiLag

blackmy03 at standard level

give Motul FF comp type2 a shot
Old 27-05-2006, 09:03 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Guys
When did you change your GB oil last and what type of oil is in it now? I am no expert but if you don't know the answer to both of these questions its time to change it.

Go in to your favourite reputable (non Subaru Dealer) Service workshop...as I am sponsored by Exleys Tyre and Brakes I will insert sponsors name...now and let them tell you what you need.
Did I mention they are in Willeton...

other reputable options and in no particular order to keep you oiled are:
Maximum Motor Sports/Nth of River
Tenagah/Nth of River
Race Torque/ North of River
Flood Motorsports/South
RMS/South
Old 27-05-2006, 09:32 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

gday maddog

i replaced all oils in my car when i bought it a year ago. box/diff/engine.
i then had them all replaced again 6 months later.
i then had the gearbox oil changed a few months ago because of the cold change problem. and just recently (before warranty ran out) i had a new diff and oil put in thanks to a loud whine at 100kph. also common according to subaru.

so the oils are all good, clean, fresh. being that i've worked and work for dealers and that this is the first "newish" car i've ever owned (only ever 30 year old datto 1600's) i've been very fastidious in keeping it tip top. and due to paranoia, i've always treated my clutch and gearbox well.
Old 27-05-2006, 10:19 AM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

Mines an 02 sti, and it has always been a "difficult" shift from 1st to 2nd, and similary shifting back. The rest -3rd,4th, 5th and 6th are all mint both up and down. I havent had my fluids done since purchase......ive been planning too..

...always thought though that the box wasnt designed to go from 2nd to 1st at more thant 20kph .....? so i never really forced her

Tags
03, speed, sti