Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Help ,oil Filter leaking?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/54259-help-oil-filter-leaking.html)

Strubaru 01-05-2013 08:22 PM

i'd be trying to do it without undoing those coolant lines, otherwise obviously y ou'll have to drain that too ;)

Marti 01-05-2013 08:30 PM

No need to undo them, undoing the 10mm bolts will give you enough room

django 02-05-2013 06:10 PM

I bought the Oil Cooler O- Ring today = will try fit it on the weekend .

I forked out like $55.00 for a Subaru Fuel Filter today,I cant believe they cost that much!, nest time I'll track down a cheaper alternative.

When I was in there I asked about that Upper Cylinder Cleaner,Ive still not used that, I said to the Spare parts guys that I'm being told by numerous WRX Owners to change the Oil after using that Cleaner?. They said no way that's rubbish and that they actually often put new oil in then use the Upper Cylinder Cleaner!?. I get so much conflicting info when researching maintaining cars!!??

MY00GC8 02-05-2013 06:13 PM

it doesnt really matter whether you do upper engine before or after
when i was working for subaru i always did it after, but cant see it making a huge difference.

fuel filter is due to be changed every 50,000km on your vehicle
so $55 isnt overly expensive, its not like they are supposed to be changed at every service

Strubaru 02-05-2013 06:33 PM

sucks you dont work at vic park anymore james :(

MY00GC8 02-05-2013 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;751308]sucks you dont work at vic park anymore james :([/QUOTE]

haha if you ever go in there, just tell rhys that i sent you in, he will look after you !

django 04-05-2013 06:50 PM

I'm hopeless!, I tried installing a new Oil Cooler O Ring today and it all turned to shit!.

I couldn't get the old O Ring Out, the way Marti suggested= I took off the 1omm bolt on the cooler hardline( turns out there's 2 x 10mm bolts) and couldn't get enough access to the Oil Cooler O ring to remove it. So I drained the coolant out the radiator then pulled off one of the hoses on the oil cooler, Coolant spilled out everywhere!.

I ended up getting the cooler off putting in the new o ring, set the Torque Wrench to 55nm and tightened ,I look up and see a bit of the O ring poking out!!?. The torque wrench ,even though set at the right setting ended up tightening too hard and ruined the O Ring.

I now cant drive the car until I can get another O Ring on Monday,I'll have to just do up the threaded pipe in the Cooler with a normal ratchet and not too tightly, my torque wrench seems to be buggered?.

dtrally 04-05-2013 07:08 PM

I doubt the torque wrench caused the problem.
The 'O' ring will have slipped out of the groove as you assembled it. They are slightly preloaded into the groove. ie; they are too large to drop in neatly. You must have them completely dry, no lube on it whatsoever or they will slip out. Try again with a new part and be super careful before tightening it.

deano555 04-05-2013 07:08 PM

Just take it somewhere and get it done right..... Simple as!

django 04-05-2013 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=dtrally;751643]I doubt the torque wrench caused the problem.
The 'O' ring will have slipped out of the groove as you assembled it. They are slightly preloaded into the groove. ie; they are too large to drop in neatly. You must have them completely dry, no lube on it whatsoever or they will slip out. Try again with a new part and be super careful before tightening it.[/QUOTE]

CHRIST!!, that's where I stuffed up then= I put a smear of oil on the face of it like you do with an Oil filter :( .

I can usually sort out these sort of things no bother, this time NO

[B]IS THAT TORQUE SETTING RIGHT[/B] ( 55nm, 39.8 ftlb) that's the specs I was getting while searching online, seems a bit high for something with an O -Ring