Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By wrx oh oh
  • 1 Post By Rossco
  • 2 Post By amtrapid
  • 1 Post By amtrapid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 01:14 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff
Default Waterless Coolant in an ej ?

Just wondering if anyone has run this in their scooby. I had used Evans water less coolant before in my GTR .
I know I had to put in a hygroscopic prep fluid in the GTR before using the coolant to remove all traces of water. The main thing I'm curious about before using in an ej is will this prep fluid work as well in a boxer motor setup (has anyone used it in their ej). Are there any tricks to using it in a boxer opposed to an inline motor eg any places water can be held up due to the design of the cooling system.
Im about to do my timing belt water pump etc and am replacing the radiator and all hoses at the same time .Id like to use this stuff again as it was excellent in the GTR kept engine temps down on track days etc . Want to look at doing some track days hill climbs etc in the near future and would like to put this stuff in when replacing the cooling system.

cheers
Old 28-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

wrx oh oh at standard level

Not the answer to your question but-
I recall reading that the stock cooling system on the EJ is designed for up to 400 kW. (@Hub?) With less power than that, you would upgrade cooling only if you were anticipating coolant leaks, or no airflow when maybe driving dead slow, big traffic jam, for hours in very hot weather.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 28-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

The only place that will be a hassle will be the heater system & oil cooler.
amtrapid likes this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 28-01-2014, 03:25 PM
STI Master

Cheers guys appreciate the feedback
Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 AM
STI Master

Put the waterless coolant in yesterday . The prep fluid worked well I just kept the heater open then when I dropped the prep fluid and after I removed all my hoses to replace with silicone and the radiator water pump timing belt etc I blew everything out with an airline .
Took a while but removed all traces of water . Car runs about 5% cooler across the board but when pushed hard hardly rises makes a massive difference but still not too cold as to run into problems Its non corrosive and doesn't build up silica in the system like oem coolant over time.
Highly recommend this for anyone doing track work like myself had it in my GTR and when I pulled the motor down after 3 yrs of running it all water passages squeeky clean and the radiator. wouldn't recommend it for some one not doing track work or with mild mods as its not really necessary Oem coolant is great for normal applications just change it regularly.
lachy294 and DukeDrifter like this.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

Did you drop the pressure in the system or are you running standard caps?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
STI Master

I run a 1.3 sti cap but no need to drop the pressure there isn't any at all. Was the same on my GTR the expansion effect isn't there so it isn't same as normal coolant from memory if you go to the Evans Waterless coolant site it has actual video of testing and explains exactly how it works.
Alot of guys use it in open wheel racing and offroad racing to reduce the effect of pressurized coolant burning a driver that isn't in an enclosed cab. Some motogp teams use it as well. I came across it when rallying. I mainly use it as it keeps your engine temps well within check and your system stays extremely clean. Ive put it in the water to air intercooler as well and my intake temps about 10 degrees cooler across the board compared to just oem coolant.
DukeDrifter likes this.

Last edited by amtrapid; 03-02-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Tags
coolant, ej, waterless