Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level
Default Intercooler Water Spray Switch Install Help

I already have an intercooler water spray set up in the car which was installed by MMS years ago. I believe it works automatically at a certain boost pressure etc. What I want to set up is a switch that I can press to manually spray the intercooler pre run to help with the heat soak that can happen while just sitting there waiting to go.

Are there any electrical boffins that can tell me how to wire this in. I already have a push switch with the 2 connections on the rear but I am not sure how to wire it up to the motor. There are 2 wires running to the motor on the water bottle. Can i make the connections to these or is not as simple as that.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by phoenix; 18-04-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 18-04-2014, 05:33 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

This is Prob not much help but I have an STi and it had an intercooler switch installed by mms. The manual spray switch is on the left and the auto on/off is to the right off it then cruise control. You're welcome to have a look if it helps
Old 18-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Will it make much difference with no air flow going through?
Old 18-04-2014, 05:40 PM
STI Master

I've wondered that too, if a "pre spray" before a run makes much difference..
Old 18-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Would have thought that the spray would help cool the intercooler itself, as it gets hot when sitting at idle.

Air passing over would help more but 25c water on a 60c intercooler gotta help.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 18-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Will it make much difference with no air flow going through?
Will it make any difference ?? I just read something about it a while ago and thought it might help a bit so thought I would give it a try if it wasnt to hard to do.

My understanding was it helps to reduce the temp of the intercooler itself, which has been heated up through natural heat induction from the heat of the engine, by soaking it in water. This in turn helps the intake temps from the intercooler start off at a lower temps than they would have otherwise. I also guess it means it takes less time for the intake air through the intercooler to cool off once running as in theory it will be starting at a lower temp than if you done nothing.

I hope I made that clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
You're welcome to have a look if it helps
If I dont get any ideas on how to do this I might just take you up on your offer thanks
nick73 likes this.
Old 18-04-2014, 08:39 PM
STI Master

Secret tip: fill the reservoir with 25/75 mix methanol:water mix. Keeps the temp of the water cooler than it would be :thumbup:
nick73 likes this.
Old 18-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

I had/have an adjustable timer on mine, all I did was hit the button and it would stay on for 5sec (what I had it set to) want more water hit it again, a mate made it from a Jaycar kit but I was getting rid of excess wires under the dash one day and chopped the wrong ones so it hasn't worked for about 5yrs.

I really doubt it would make much difference cooling it off the line as it takes quite a while to drop temps even on the run - and they would throw you out of the drags if you dropped that much water on the track, I ran mine with a temp probe in the intercooler and it really didn't make a whole lot of difference without just about emptying the bottle.

I did all my testing on hot summer days so cold weather may make a difference but then again if mine gets a gut full of too cold air I get boost/fuel cut so it was never needed in this weather.

I actually bought a new 10" radiator fan to put under the offset top mount on the offroad WRX I had, I reckon this would work better but never got around to trying it.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 18-04-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 19-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

It probably won't make too much difference spraying it pre-run, as you're suggesting, if the I/C is already heat soaked. However, by fitting the manual switch you'd be able to spray during your cool down drive (for what it's worth) at least there's still some airflow to help cooling. Pop the bonnet once you park up so the engine heat isn't trapped around the I/C. That'll get/keep the I/C as cool as possible before next run, if you're queuing at the drags leave the bonnet up & engine off as long as you can.

Probably best to just check in with Maximums about adding the manual switch, how they wired the auto-spray setup would likely affect how/where you connect the manual switch in. But I'm no autosparky.

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.

Last edited by _daz_; 19-04-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 19-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
I really doubt it would make much difference cooling it off the line as it takes quite a while to drop temps even on the run. I ran mine with a temp probe in the intercooler and it really didn't make a whole lot of difference without just about emptying the bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _daz_ View Post
It probably won't make too much difference spraying it pre-run, as you're suggesting, if the I/C is already heat soaked.
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I will be wasting my time doing this. A lot of effort for little gain it seems.

Tags
install, intercooler, spray, switch, water