Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

The Scoop splitters in the Grimspeed image represent the stock wrx & Sti splitters.

You were supplied a single vane WRX splitter with your STI cooler.

I have the same GD STI cooler on my GC8 and I hacked up a GD WRX splitter to fit - Like your situation it was wide enough but not deep enough by about 45mm - I cut the sheet metal to suit and joined the GD scoop skirt & my GC one to make a single rubber skirt to fit the cooler properly.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 22-04-2014, 01:54 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

^^^^ Because is Rossco and has to modify everything.

Much <3 Rossco.
Rossco likes this.
Old 22-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
The Scoop splitters in the Grimspeed image represent the stock wrx & Sti splitters.

You were supplied a single vane WRX splitter with your STI cooler.

I have the same GD STI cooler on my GC8 and I hacked up a GD WRX splitter to fit - Like your situation it was wide enough but not deep enough by about 45mm - I cut the sheet metal to suit and joined the GD scoop skirt & my GC one to make a single rubber skirt to fit the cooler properly.
Thanks Rossco.

One more question if you dont mind.

How come the splitter is so much taller than the standard one, I thought that was another clue to it being an STi one?

Cheers
Old 22-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Scoop heights changed over the years. there are 3 different Wrx ones & 2 STI ones..... Then there's the Foz ones.....
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 22-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

470ish x 190ish for the rubber seal on my zerosports splitter mate. Fits snug on the cooler.
GTB Liberty likes this.
Old 22-04-2014, 08:18 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

StephenR at standard level

I have just pulled down and measured a 03 sti intercooler and splitter that i have.
The length and breadth is the same as burke has quoted where the seal contacts the tube and fins just under the tanks.
The splitter you have is identical to what i have here with the breadth measurement being 145mm at the opening but the seal is a moulded unit and tapers back at the rear to fit perfectly to the header of the tube and fin construction giving a measurement of 185 mm.
Old 23-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Thanks guys for those measurements I appreciate you taking the time. A big thanks also to Neil at Maximums for his help yesterday too. They had another splitter there which I got and I am going to compare the 2 today and see what the differences are. I will update later.
Old 23-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenR View Post
I have just pulled down and measured a 03 sti intercooler and splitter that i have.
The length and breadth is the same as burke has quoted where the seal contacts the tube and fins just under the tanks.
The splitter you have is identical to what i have here with the breadth measurement being 145mm at the opening but the seal is a moulded unit and tapers back at the rear to fit perfectly to the header of the tube and fin construction giving a measurement of 185 mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
470ish x 190ish for the rubber seal on my zerosports splitter mate. Fits snug on the cooler.
Update for those that are interested.

The top pic is the original splitter I got and the lower from MMS.

Ok as far as the metal splitter assembly goes the original one I had and the one I got off of MMS are exactly the same in all dimensions. The only difference seems to be the rubber curtain shape and dimensions as per the picture below.

Written on the splitter assembly from MMS was "GF" I am guessing this is off a 06-07 STi (are they a GF?) and they both have the cut out for a water spray nozzle and the clips for the water pipes going to the nozzle. It could be from a 06-07 WRX. Do the 06-07 WRX and STi use the same splitter frame but different skirts ??

I still think that the rubber skirt on the one I got from MMS is still not the correct one for this intercooler. The measurements are 460mm x 170mm ish. It is much better than the original one I had but still does not fit snuggley as Stephen and Burke says theirs do in their posts. It is still about 10-15 mm short in height and about 10mm to narrow in the width. There are little ridges on the outside of the skirt that instead of sitting on the edges of the tanks it actually sits within the diameter area of the tubes and fins. I am guessing there must be another rubber skirt with the right dimensions that I can get although I dont know if it will make that much difference to the performance of the intercooler anyway?? Someone might be able to advise me on this.

I am going to need to sell this splitter with the narrow skirt and it would be good to know exactly what it is off.

Old 23-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

grumpyrex at standard level

I've just measured mine (05 STI) 460mm x 180mm. Height is aprox 50mm at the front & 35mm at the rear.
Old 23-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyrex View Post
I've just measured mine (05 STI) 460mm x 180mm. Height is aprox 50mm at the front & 35mm at the rear.
Thanks mate

I think that just confirms that the skirt I have now is still the wrong one compared to an original 05 STi skirt.

Tags
prob, spliiter, splitter