Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

MikeRX99 at standard level
Default Push type to pull type clutch

Hi guys. Currently the GC8 RX has a push type clutch and cable set up. Car is not dual range. To convert to pull type clutch would obviously need the different clutch, but does this also mean new box required? With the hydraulic clutch, do I just need the little hydraulic bottle and lines to it? Interested in what people would think is needed to swap.
Old 23-05-2014, 10:29 AM
STI Master

Damo69 at standard level

OS Giken sell a convertor

60.7 Long Track at Barbs
57.6 at RAC Reverse circuit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Damo69 For This Useful Post:
MikeRX99 (23-05-2014)
Old 23-05-2014, 10:32 AM

Cheers Damo, hadnt even heard of them. I guess my other issue is cable v hydraulic, prob good to convert to hydraulic if adding extra power down the track?
Old 23-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

If you are adding extra power down the track, I would assume you would be doing the infamous conversion... During which you will want to/have to upgrade the gbox anyway.

In all seriousness, unless you are doing the work yourself and really want to do the work... Sell it and buy a wrx or sti.
Unless putting new driveline in old chassis. Then do it!
Old 23-05-2014, 10:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

The Suby at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo69 View Post
OS Giken sell a convertor
Pretty sure those are the opposite of what he needs. They are for using a push clutch with a pull transmission.

He wants to use a pull clutch with a push transmission, I think.

I don't think there is any solution for this - the push gearbox bellhousing doesnt have the place for the rod which the pull setup pivots on. If you have enough power to really need a pull clutch, then you should run a pull gearbox too.

Otherwise a HD push clutch with a heavier clamping pressure should suffice.
I believe it's quite easy to swap out your cable system for the hydraulic system if you want but this doesn't make the clutch itself work any better.

Last edited by The Suby; 23-05-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 24-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Has anyone actually checked the difference between a WRX box and a GX/RX box? because apart from 1st gear a 1981 dual range is virtually identical to a 2007 WRX in gear size, I really doubt there would be much difference strength wise apart from possibly the clutch.

When we put the dual range box in the WRX offroader I had - provided I was sympathetic with 1st (which because of the dual range set up is much thinner) it would take whatever I threw at it from 2nd onward in high or low, we tried putting a hydraulic pull clutch set up in it above the starter motor because it had an 09 flywheel and h/d clutch but couldn't get the throw right so ditched that idea and went to the original cable set up which lasted as long as I had it......but I did always carry a spare cable just in-case

Surprising how many parts are interchangeable with pretty much all 5 speeds right from the earliest to the latest.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 24-05-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 24-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Cheers to jezza, suba and pimpin pimp. Jezza still keen to convert slowly, doing as much work as I can myself, not so much a cost thing as a learning thing and a bit like patch said, you start of knowing f all and start pulling stuff apart and learning. The biggest thing for me will actually be the loom side of things, but all is a way off anyway.
Suba yep did see that wasn't the right converter.
Pimpreza yes rx and wrx box's according to nasoic and stuff seem to be v similar except for push and pull clutchs and associated bits.
Easiest answer, I'm off to stechnic to see what best solution could be. Seems a good time to upgrade part of the driveline now clutch is going, but if it is massive swap and can't get parts for decent price, then yeah have to reconsider.
Finally, a bloke on rexnet seems to have the cylinder and slave and parts to go hydraulic, so might have answered that part.

Tags
clutch, gc8, pull, push, type