Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By johnvk7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-11-2014, 11:50 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

zver333 at standard level
Default E-Throttle Idle Relearn Procedure

Hello,

Thought I'd share this info as its the second time I needed to do it.

I have MY06 (September 2005) Impreza 2.0R EJ204 with an Electronic Throttle. After a while the car some how develops flat spots ie. no torque(2000-2500rpm) so an ECU reset is required to fix the issue. It is possible that the AFR/O2 is dodgy after 150k on the clock even though there are no codes.

If the the learn procedure is not done correctly you will find that when you come to a complete stop the revs will drop and the car wants to stall (especially if AC is on).

Follow this procedure when the engine is cold.

1. Disconnect battery 10-15mins. While you waiting for the ECU reset clean the throttle body with a rag and some carby cleaner. Even a little bit of crap on the blade can cause issues.

2. Put the air intake back on, connect the battery and jump in the car.
3. Make sure hand brake is on and car is in neutral position. Turn the key to the on position (20 seconds) but do not start. Ensure all electronics are off (HVAC, radio, lights etc). Remove key.
4. Re-insert key and turn to the ON position, wait 20 seconds, then start the car.
5. Let the car run without touching the pedals, steering wheel or anything that may load the engine. The car will slowly warm up and in about 20-25mins the radiator fans will turn on. Once the fans turn off, turn the car off and remove the key.
6. Once again, put the key in and turn the ON position, wait 20 seconds and then start.
7. Take the car for a drive, it should not drive normally and the ECU will hold the revs correctly.

There you go, hope it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to zver333 For This Useful Post:
BoxerDan (17-11-2014)
Old 17-11-2014, 10:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

BoxerDan at standard level

My liberty is having weird idle issues, might give this a crack! :thumbup:
Old 18-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by zver333 View Post
Hello,

Thought I'd share this info as its the second time I needed to do it.

I have MY06 (September 2005) Impreza 2.0R EJ204 with an Electronic Throttle. After a while the car some how develops flat spots ie. no torque(2000-2500rpm) so an ECU reset is required to fix the issue. It is possible that the AFR/O2 is dodgy after 150k on the clock even though there are no codes.

If the the learn procedure is not done correctly you will find that when you come to a complete stop the revs will drop and the car wants to stall (especially if AC is on).

Follow this procedure when the engine is cold.

1. Disconnect battery 10-15mins. While you waiting for the ECU reset clean the throttle body with a rag and some carby cleaner. Even a little bit of crap on the blade can cause issues.

2. Put the air intake back on, connect the battery and jump in the car.
3. Make sure hand brake is on and car is in neutral position. Turn the key to the on position (20 seconds) but do not start. Ensure all electronics are off (HVAC, radio, lights etc). Remove key.
4. Re-insert key and turn to the ON position, wait 20 seconds, then start the car.
5. Let the car run without touching the pedals, steering wheel or anything that may load the engine. The car will slowly warm up and in about 20-25mins the radiator fans will turn on. Once the fans turn off, turn the car off and remove the key.
6. Once again, put the key in and turn the ON position, wait 20 seconds and then start.
7. Take the car for a drive, it should not drive normally and the ECU will hold the revs correctly.

There you go, hope it helps.
ALmost correct, after the car has warmed up you need to do the engine running till the fan kicks in, once the fans stop then switch off, wait ten sec, ign on, wait ten secs, then start the engine and run again till the fans kick in, and so on.
BUt you must repeat this at least 8 times
munya and zver333 like this.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
The Following User Says Thank You to johnvk7 For This Useful Post:
zver333 (30-11-2014)

Tags
ethrottle, idle, procedure, relearn