Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Craven at standard level

daily driving and cruising thats all I have done at the moment car is pretty stock
Old 05-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

the the brass button ones shudder all the time or just when car is cold ?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

blackmy03 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven
daily driving and cruising thats all I have done at the moment car is pretty stock
organic one is your best friend then
Old 05-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF
the the brass button ones shudder all the time or just when car is cold ?
all the time
Old 05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

A heavy duty clutch WILL be heavier under the foot than a stock clutch, because 99.99% of "heavy duty" clutches have an uprated pressure plate with more clamping force. Even an uprated "STi" pressure plate with a standard organic disk (as manufactured by Daikin) is around 17% heavier than a stock clutch.

If the clutch is heavier, but the clutch take up IE the way it engages, feels the same, then your probably running an organic clutch with a sprung hub. The material on the face of the clutch is a fibre material, which can burn up easily if you slip or ride the clutch, or do too many launches (because it overheats and loses its grip).

Sprung hubs are used to allow some "give" when you engage the clutch, therefore reducing some shudder, and making the clutch take up easier, therefore making them more drivable.

If the clutch feels a bit shuddery or "bitey", then you've probably got a puck clutch. These clutches work on the idea that the less surface area there is available for the pressure plate to clamp on to, the more force will be applied per given area. Therefore, the lower the number of pucks on the clutch plate, the more grip you'll have, and the less drivable the clutch will be. The material on the face of a puck clutch can be made of ceramic, sintered bronze, or brass. They wont burn up when you ride the clutch or launch too many times, but they'll eventually ruin your flywheel and the pressure plate (ask me how I know this).

A puck clutch with a solid hub is not recommended, nor needed in a WRX, and I very much doubt your running one. These clutches are totally on or off, and are extremely hard to drive with (also ask me how I know this). They are used especially in rotaries, where a high rpm launch will destroy the sprung hubs in ordinary clutches. Solid hub puck clutches dont shudder, because there are no springs to allow any quick oscillating movements to happen when the clutch is being engaged.

Multi plate clutches are another ball game. Some drive like stock, some are hard to drive, depending on the composition and the design of the plates. Many are noisy and rattly when the clutch is disengaged and the transmission is in neutral, because of the many plates they have, which rattle against each other. Some arent noisy because they are dampened. They also come with their own flywheel, because multi plate clutches require special mounting points on the flywheel. I doubt you have one of these.

Another point to think about, is that WRXs are well known for their clutch shudder with the stock clutch. Therefore, your shuddery clutch might just be a problematic stock one.

Last edited by BALISTC; 05-07-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

thats a really good way to put it... but i would say u got a 8-9puck brass button clutch...

which i see as a good combination of both performance and daily driven.. depending on the face of the clutch with the ceramic ones you will get shudder in a wrx... as said keep to organic :P
Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Craven at standard level

thanks everyone info really helps
Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

Awesome information Balistc Cheers!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Subaru Tech Division

joey89 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to joey89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
Another point to think about, is that WRXs are well known for their clutch shudder with the stock clutch. Therefore, your shuddery clutch might just be a problematic stock one.
Yes very true.

Every wrx with a stock clutch i have been in and driven shudders alot.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC

If the clutch feels a bit shuddery or "bitey", then you've probably got a puck clutch. These clutches work on the idea that the less surface area there is available for the pressure plate to clamp on to, the more force will be applied per given area. Therefore, the lower the number of pucks on the clutch plate, the more grip you'll have, and the less drivable the clutch will be. The material on the face of a puck clutch can be made of ceramic, sintered bronze, or brass. They wont burn up when you ride the clutch or launch too many times, but they'll eventually ruin your flywheel and the pressure plate (ask me how I know this).
They do actually burn up, I fried my 8 puck hybrid clutch altogether with the pressure plate and flywheel....

Last edited by blackmy03; 06-07-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Tags
gearbox, question