Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   what is this? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/61202-what.html)

newtosubi 30-03-2015 02:26 PM

what is this?

3 Attachment(s)
Hello guys

So I bought a car recently and its got a few bits and pieces that I'm not sure about. Its a 95 impreza sportswagon with an ej20g swap

Pics attached.
There is a blue box with a lid and 2 hoses coming from it. Its where the battery use to be (battery moved to boot)
One hose connects to the intake and the other connects to the block. Inside the box there is absolutely nothing.
It doesn't seem to do anything there's no branding on it or any part numbers.

And last thing I have a denso 3 port boost solenoid mounted wiring connected but no other hoses are connected I think the old owner had prepared to use it but decided to wait is it ok to leave it there? Should I disconnect the wires its just hanging there in my engine bay by the 1 screw

Any help is appreciated thanks

johnvk7 30-03-2015 02:49 PM

Its an oil catch can

newtosubi 30-03-2015 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;819547]Its an oil catch can[/QUOTE]

awesome thanks for the quick reply
is it normal to not have even a little residue?
any chance its clogged?

and the boost solenoid is it ok to leave there?

thanks

Tony 30-03-2015 07:32 PM

Someone correct me if im wrong. If you connect that boost controller you will need to have the car tuned for it. And in a gc8 that means you will need a new ecu, prob the reason the original owner didnt finish the install. Unless you have a manual boost tee in their somewhere you will most prob be running wastegate boost pressure.

johnvk7 30-03-2015 10:56 PM

I think Ecutek can do 99-00 onwards? But if the line to the waste gate actuator is connected directly to the compressor housing then yes, wastegate pressure is what it will be running

s20525xxx 30-03-2015 11:03 PM

Open source can tune gc8 as well, not ecutek exclusive feature anymore. Standalone boost controller doesn't need tuning, as long as ecu can rwad boost and load to compensate fuel and timing.

Boost tee is to set minimum boost, ie u wanna run higher than wastegate pressure. It has has no control on boost spiking/creeping

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Rossco 31-03-2015 12:02 AM

For the cost of open source tuning the anemic GC8 factory ECu I'd be looking at something a little smarter - A Power Fc as a minimum.

newtosubi 01-04-2015 02:56 AM

sooo back to the original question is it ok to leave plugged in as long as its not actually connected to my turbo and intake? I had done some reading and it will need a tune but I was thinking of using a standalone to control boost in future anyway if its fine ill leave it if not I can remove and block off the electrical plugs

Tony 01-04-2015 07:12 AM

Yes its fine if you can live with the wastegate boost pressure.

s20525xxx 01-04-2015 09:20 AM

Does gc8 have some sort of factory boost control?

using the Perth-WRX mobile app