Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Wogan at standard level
Default Am i crazy?

OK so i bought my MY06 a couple years back and when i got it, it had a horrible exhaust which was essentially a 3" pipe from turbo back with a cheap canon muffler on the back... it was ridiculously loud.

I drive a lot and wanted something quiet, so I put in the standard exhaust from an MY07 STI... but now i am thinking it's too quiet and i wanna try and get a little more power... but my thoughts are to change the headers, turbo and dump pipe, but leave the standard cat-back... (obviously get a tune to go with)

So my question is, has anyone done this before? will it work ok? or am i increasing the flow and then leaving a brick wall at the end of the exhaust?
Old 29-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

What's a little bit of back-pressure?

Personally I would just go with a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and ask your friendly exhaust maker to add in a hotdog muffler in the centre section and a normal muffler at the rear if you want it granny-spec.
Old 29-05-2015, 10:21 AM
STI Master

Andy! at standard level

Upgrade the dump pipe and the turbo, keep the standard STI catback. Silent but violent.
Wogan, nick73 and Kremer930 like this.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Satie12 at standard level

Up-grade your headers when you do a turbo up-grade.. the stock headers are more than capable enough to cope with the stock turbo and minor mods

IMO I would get a 3 inch TBE but find a system that has a cat in the dump pipe or and oval tip muffler. I was running one originally and was perfect for what your after a lot quieter than I expected but still had that boxer rumble. I prefer super loud so I opted to go for a full Cat-less system!

Check out Ultrex performance! Best bang for your buck an exactly what your looking for.

Good luck!

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 29-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Wogan at standard level

Ok so next question... most people go for vf34's on the 2.5L engines, but i am thinking of going for the vf35 since i am not chasing big power and just after good pull out of the corners. Is the vf35 a worthwhile upgrade?
Old 29-05-2015, 11:42 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogan View Post
Ok so next question... most people go for vf34's on the 2.5L engines, but i am thinking of going for the vf35 since i am not chasing big power and just after good pull out of the corners. Is the vf35 a worthwhile upgrade?
Check out my drive way thread: http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/61417-saties-my01-wrx.html
I run the vf-34 on a 2L making excellent power and torque!

There is next to no difference between the 34 and the 35
34 is a ball bearing turbo the 35 is a thrust bearing.
The 34 utilises the p20 rear housing allowing it to hold top end power a little better than the 35. In saying that the 34 is a little slower to spool where as the 35 uses the p15 rear housing allowing it to spool quicker than the 34 but not as good as holding top end power like the 34 does.

Both great turbos both very similar and definitely worth the upgrade! Will still need a bigger fuel pump and injectors to allow you to gain the max potential of each turbo!
My personal preference is the 34 as I prefer top end power over quicker spool!

Last edited by Satie12; 29-05-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

They are the same turbo essentially, just the 34 has ball bearing rather than thrust bearing, therefore spools and comes onto power faster.

Looking at these questions, I would recommend having a good search through all the stickied threads - you will pick up some new info to help your decision making.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Wogan at standard level

Vf35 is thrust bearing, which is a downer... but p15 housing vs p18 is slightly faster... injectors on the 06 are actually ok from what i read, but pump may be worth it.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogan View Post
Vf35 is thrust bearing, which is a downer... but p15 housing vs p18 is slightly faster... injectors on the 06 are actually ok from what i read, but pump may be worth it.
You can run the stock injectors on a vf35 but you will be pretty much maxing your injectors out. I just upgraded to STi pink's and they are more than capable to hold the power that the 35 will produce.

Old 29-05-2015, 05:15 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

How does a vf48 from a stock G3 Sti perform on the 2l? I have heard that they hit hard and put out more hp than a vf34. Obviously not BB though but should be cheap.
matto20v likes this.

Tags
crazy