Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Sir AntiLag

STIMUL8IN at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to STIMUL8IN
Default ABS, Traction Control & Hill Start Assist lights popped up - Problem Solved!

So these 3 lights have been popping up the last couple of days and don't go off unless I switch off and re-start. Then a short while later they pop up again. Car drives fine, but I can't change any of the TC settings while these lights are up. Haven't tested the ABS or hill start assist while the lights are on.

Not throwing any codes (used Rev2 and OBD fusion though my KiwiWifi to check).

Found this thread on iwsti.com and it seems to say (33 fricking pages!?!) the stop light switch is the problem. Going to the stealership tomorrow to see if they have the part in stock and how much (according to that thread, about $15 hopefully!).

Anyone else had the same issue? It was fairly common for the guys on iwsti, with MY11+ sedans being the main culprits; they reckon due to the incandescent globes on those compared to the LEDs in the hatch version. I've swapped my rear lights over to LEDs though, but only relatively recently, so I'm hoping it's just a dodgy switch.

Will post up the results once I've swapped the switch for a new one...
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by STIMUL8IN; 14-07-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Updated with solution
Old 13-07-2015, 08:13 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deano555 at standard level

Had this on the wifes sti, played up for a week, been ok for the last two months.... Was told it wasnt as simple as just swapping the switch but havent had to go that far yet👍🏻
STIMUL8IN likes this.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano555 View Post
Was told it wasnt as simple as just swapping the switch...
Yeah, it seems too easy to me too, but I figure for $15 (if Subaru don't try to rape me on the price!), it's pretty easy to rule it out. Fingers crossed!
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 13-07-2015, 08:30 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Brodz at standard level

Ive had it pop up 3 weeks ago mate. Hasnt done it for at least a week now. Not really bothered about it to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 13-07-2015, 08:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deano555 at standard level

Just make sure you ask first i was told it needed to be programmed as it was also some sort of accelerometer or something.... Ask rossco😀
Old 14-07-2015, 05:30 AM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Had this issue a couple of years back. Some people say that the pin switch under the brake pedal is to blame as you can be on the brakes before the electrical circuit is informed by the pin switch. The switch is easily adjustable.

Get a mate to watch and tell you when the brake lights come on and then wind the pin in or out until touching the brakes brings on the light.

For my car, this wasn't the problem. Mine was caused by the abs sensor wire getting internally fractured when upgrading my rear roll bar. Couldn't really see the damage but internally the wires had been broken by the compression impact.

Subaru wanted to charge some ridiculous amount for the new sensor. Picked one up from the U.S. for about 15% of their charge. About $80 from memory.

A cheap OBD won't see the code but once you put on a Subaru select monitor it will reveal extra codes.

Cheers
STIMUL8IN likes this.
Old 14-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

+100 to Subaru Wangara, especially Taylor the service desk girl

Visited her today asking for the stop light switch and told her what was going on. Rather than just giving me the new switch (for $27) she offered to get the boys out the back to plug in the diagnostic tool and confirmed for me it was a stop light fault. Took 5 mins, and I didn't even have time to finish my cup of tea!

Just got home now and fitted the new switch...been for a blat and no disco lights!

For anyone interested in the future, here's the details:

Instructions

Switch part number - SU-83311FJ000

New switch

Old switch before removal

You need to be a bit of a contortionist to get up under the dash to the switch, but it's easy to twist in and out once there. Took a few attempts to set it up perfectly, the thread on the shaft makes it jump slightly backward as you snap it in place, so you need to allow for that when setting it up. Or do it a few times like I did!
nick73 likes this.
Old 14-07-2015, 02:26 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rslib72 at standard level

Good hear some good service from a dealer...
STIMUL8IN likes this.
Old 14-07-2015, 03:33 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Well done. I wonder if the switches are generally faulty. There is a long thread on this in the U.S.
Old 14-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post
Well done. I wonder if the switches are generally faulty. There is a long thread on this in the U.S.
Yeah, I linked to it in my original post - 33 pages! I guess I was lucky it was just the switch. Others had to do the ABS modules. I've now set my switch quite sensitive, as that massive thread seemed to say that it could contribute to the problem if it wasn't sensitive enough.

Tags
abs, assist, control, discolights, hill, hillstartassist, ilovetayloratsubaruwangara, lights, popped, start, traction, tractioncontrol