Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff
Default Brake pads for Wilwood FNSL 6pots.

The brake pads are about due on my Wilwoods. Currently had the Wilwood BP10 compound which is a street pad. They went ok, but got chewed up after about 6 race days. They obviously dont like the high temps too much.

The brakes are Wilwood forged narrow superlites 6 piston calipers. With the 13 x1.25 inch rotor. Wilwood call the pad size '7416'. I dont know if this corresponds to a universal part number for vrake pads etc?

Im looking to get a new set soon. Just wondering opinions on compounds. (doesnt need to be genuine Wilwood) Have msg'ed GSL rallysport and he has suggested the QFM AR1M. But i have also seen dome hawk pads to suit these brakes, and also about 10 odd different compound from Wilwood aswell.

Just curious on peoples thoughts. I know this has been done to death, but ive never really paid attention to brake pad materials. and also they would have to be in a size to suit the Wilwoods.

I want them to have decent grip from cold, but be able to really grip and not get shredded when they get real hot. Currently car is doing tarmac sprints of maybe 3 hard laps, then 1/2 hr wait between runs. and no real warm up laps before each run. Steet use isnt really an issue as car does virtually no street driving. (well just to and from races)

here is the wilwood branded pad compounds.

Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Brake Pad Compound:

Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

heres another pad description from wilwood about thier compounds.

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl227.pdf
Old 01-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

No offence to the A1RM pad as I have used them for the sprints, but I would not use them again. They are a great bang/buck pad but I reckon at the pace your setting already you will want something better.

Does Pagid or PMU have anything in your caliper? I run Pagid-29 yellows, very good pad but $$. I think XT43 (Burke) uses Hawk 70's or something like that, check his build thread maybe.

Winmax 5's are meant to be very good too, don't use their W3 as a front pad though it is not suitable for RAC sprints.

I use W3's at the rear and they are fine.

Last edited by nick73; 01-09-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

I had a chat with Greg at gsl Rallysport. Even as a car only used for club events, he recommended the A1RM for sprints as they have a high heat tolerance yet plenty of bite when they are cold. Decent fluid like AP600 is worth it. A couple of the targa boys also advised flushing brake fluid every 2-3 sprint events.

I've found that mine take the heat pretty well and don't seem to eat the rotors.

At the end of the day, pads are a consumable and cheap component (especially the a1rm) so if it doesn't work out you can just reevaluate your pad choice next time...
Old 01-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Have used the A1RM and Hawkes.

Would use A1RMs as a street pad, the didn't like Collie track much, used 2 sets of pads there. They seemed to crumble after the 3rd events there.

Hawkes, not sure of the compound but there rated 0-800c first press of the day, not quite there, but from then on good/awesome. Used in targa west, TSW (challenge), track days, SES days, and on the street. Pads are a bit noisy for the street, and you do need to look in the mirror at the car behind when using them on the street.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Thanks for the replys guys. Certainly gives me something to think about. As Nick and Jeckle have mentioned, I am a bit concerned the A1RMs arent quite up to the task. And it was my intial thought when mentioned by GSL.

As said. I only got 6 odd sprint days out of the BP10s. And im fairly sure my last 2 rounds of RAC really killed them, because they were both good days (weather wise), and i was pushing harder on them as my experience grew. I think they just got obliterated by the heat. So kinda want a pad that will stand up to that, and not disintergrate.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I put in an order for some Wilwood Poly Matrix A. Just so i have something on its way and should hopefully be here for racing. Probably not the ideal choice, but atleast that way something is coming. Because it might take me a while to research other options, which means by the time i order and they arrive, it might be too late.

Ill continue to hunt around for other options and maybe get another set for the parts bin so im not caught without pads again in the future.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I put in an order for some Wilwood Poly Matrix A. Just so i have something on its way and should hopefully be here for racing. Probably not the ideal choice, but atleast that way something is coming. Because it might take me a while to research other options, which means by the time i order and they arrive, it might be too late.

Ill continue to hunt around for other options and maybe get another set for the parts bin so im not caught without pads again in the future.
Mick at Japline runs Wilwoods on his Evo mate give him a buzz and see what he runs .
nick73 and dnbosiris like this.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 PM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

No he doesn't. Just took them off for targa west... ;-)
But will still be able to answer you question.

go winmax...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick73 likes this.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:43 PM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

lol cheers baylee

Tags
6pots, brake, fnsl, pads, wilwood