Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 02:54 AM
Scoobie Noobie

kingslayer567 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Get a V7 EJ207 short block and use existing heads or recon heads if required otherwise if you use different heads it'll require different sensors, wiring and ecu hugely increasing costs.

firstly the ej207 block is much stronger, as the 2.5 is essentially a bored out 2.0l.

secondly the ej207 v7 comes with factory 'forged' pistons.

basically this block is a lot stronger than the ej257 so you can push it further without having to build the short block.

Most VF turbos are similar in what they output VF28, VF30, VF34, VF35 etc
The v7 ej207 block im gonna get directly from subaru for $3.2k and while thats being put in the heads are gonna be machined for $550 each which includes new springs.

The mechanic also suggested doing cams and the oil pump but i think that blows the budget out a bit. He quoted $7.5k total if i did minimal for 300kw and the cams would push it out even further with a bigger turbo.

Last thing is that theres a lot of things wrong with the car atm. When i replaced the exhaust it had a huge exhaust leak due to shit gaskets which made the boost pressure oscillate like crazy from 17 psi down to 8 repeatedly. Putting a new gasket has made a huge difference but it hasnt stopped oscillating and I dont really know what to do about it. Ive heard a tune might make a difference.

The knock sensor and o2 sensor code has been given and it has really bad fuel economy. Only getting 300-350 kms per tank so MAF sensor probably needs replacing as well.

I have a few questions to you lads.
Is 7.5k an good deal for an installed ej207?
Are cams and oil pumps worth putting in on a budget?
What can I do about oscillating boost pressure?
And lastly where should i get sensors from?

Btw the wrxs at race wars were incredible. Hopefully some of you were there and raced.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingslayer567 View Post
$7.5k for drive in, drive out EJ207 install seems right. I haven't looked into having it done recently but prices were in that ballpark a few years ago.
Cams aren't necessary, though you save on the labour cost to install if you have them done now rather than down the line. Oil pump is definitely worth it, should be done with any engine rebuild.
kingslayer567 likes this.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingslayer567 View Post
The v7 ej207 block im gonna get directly from subaru for $3.2k and while thats being put in the heads are gonna be machined for $550 each which includes new springs.

The mechanic also suggested doing cams and the oil pump but i think that blows the budget out a bit. He quoted $7.5k total if i did minimal for 300kw and the cams would push it out even further with a bigger turbo.

Last thing is that theres a lot of things wrong with the car atm. When i replaced the exhaust it had a huge exhaust leak due to shit gaskets which made the boost pressure oscillate like crazy from 17 psi down to 8 repeatedly. Putting a new gasket has made a huge difference but it hasnt stopped oscillating and I dont really know what to do about it. Ive heard a tune might make a difference.

The knock sensor and o2 sensor code has been given and it has really bad fuel economy. Only getting 300-350 kms per tank so MAF sensor probably needs replacing as well.

What can I do about oscillating boost pressure?
And lastly where should i get sensors from?

Btw the wrxs at race wars were incredible. Hopefully some of you were there and raced.
Check with Rising Sun Subaru and Diversion Garage, I'm sure they were well cheaper than that for oem short blocks.

Diversion Garage were the best price on most of the ancilleries to - gaskets, timing belts etc.

You would be mad not to do the oil pump while your there, they're not expensive - get the 11mm STi pump.

Not sure about needing cams on a 207 to make 300kw, you won't need them on a 257 to make those numbers.

Last edited by nick73; 12-03-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Sir AntiLag

VUSSUTE at standard level

300kw without cams on a 207 with BP98.......??

You will need cams to do 300kw on a 2.0L with BP98
You will need cams to do 250kw on 98

Not fast enough dammit!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Scoobie Noobie

kingslayer567 at standard level

Guess ill save up a bit longer and go the full way then. Cheers nick for mentioning rss and diversion and thanks for confirming i need cams vussute

Tags
budget, ej257, gc8, swap