Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Haggis at standard level
Default Fuel Pump Question

Please excuse me for this question as i am noob to this sorta stuff.

My question is is the Bosch 040 Fuel Pump a direct replacement from the stock my02 wrx fuel pump even though it doesnt have that little bad/filter thing on the bottom of it?

I jsut got confused as they didnt look exactly the same.

On the bottom of the Basch pump it does have what looks like mesh .. was wondering is this was the filter n its jsut built into the pump instead of hangin out

Any info/clarification would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Kyle
Old 27-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

you can attach the standard sock filter to the bosch pump. Just make sure you attach it at the same level as standard otherwise you may end up getting surging when accelerating or cornering hard on less than 1/4 tank.
Old 27-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Haggis at standard level

Where does it attach too?

There only seems to be 3 connections at the top on the Bosch pump and nothing on the bottom.

Whereas the stock one has a connection for the filter on the bottom
Old 27-10-2006, 06:38 PM

Subaru has used the essentially the same design for the in tank fuel pickup for their cars so you should be able to relate this to your WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLC
OEM fuel pump replaced with a BOSCH 910 series pump. The part no. of the Bosch unit is 0580254910. I cannot comment directly on the Walbro pump but envisige that the process would be very similar.

The cover plate over the pump assy is found behind the RHS back seat under the carpet (AUS spec). Very easily removed. Under that you will see this…

I have already removed the fuel hoses and the electrical plug. I have also wiped away a lot off the dust that had accumulated there.
You’ll need to now undo the 8 nuts you can see in the above pic.

Here I’ve undone the nuts and started to remove the assy from the fuel tank. I should also say the I ran the fuel level right down to very nearly empty before doing this job. It helped as the pump assy didn’t come out dripping wet with fuel! I have also already pulled the fuel pump fuse and run the car until it died to relieve fuel pressure.
Note that I haven’t at this stage removed the rubber gasket. I did so after which assisted the process of putting the assy back in.

In the next 2 pics I am CAREFULLY manoeuvring the pump assy out of the tank taking care of the float and lower assy.

Here is the removed assy…

…and here is the new pump along side the old one. The pic doesn’t really do it justice though as the Bosch pump is significantly bigger.

This is the resistive strip that is used for the fuel level guage. I just buffed it up and removed the build up of shalac that was on it. The result: a small improvement in the guage reading!! The track was pretty worn in any case. I am not really fussed as I tend to drive more by the trip meter as a rule.

These next two show where I have removed the “L” bracket from the main support bracket after I had removed the OEM pump. You’ll see what I mean when you see it for yourselves. You’ll need to do this when fitting the Bosch pump as it wont fit with the L bracket in place. I’ve also cut back the steel tubing that the orig pump was connected to. Again with it at its standard length the new pump wont fit. I flared the now cut back tube to aid in clamping the hose to the tube.

Check now again with Grey’s thread as shown above but here you can see how the new pump has been clamped to the bracket with, in my case, 2 band clamps. I have used the OEM filter sock and connected it to the Bosch pump using the ½” hose. The pump outlet with its new straight through fitting (arrowed) has been connected to the cut back tube with 3/8 hose. The main consideration is to get the pickup point of the new pump in the same place as the old one. No major drama in doing this however.

All you need to do know is to connect the power and earth wires up...a straight forward task. Then just reinstall the pump and assy into the tank making sure that the rubber gasket is orientated correctly and not caught up or folded under itself.

if you have done as I have and fitted the straight through fitting you'll ned to allow the pump to prime for a couple of secs if the engine has been switched off for any length of time. This is not really an imposition and you get used to it.

I have found that the biggest difference to be in the starting of the car and the stable fuel pressures a high revs.

Last edited by Mister Two; 27-10-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 27-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Hope that helps... especially this pic:

You can see how the sock has been adapted to fit the bosch fuel pump

Old 27-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Haggis at standard level

thats awesome thanks heaps

only bad thing is that my bosch pump doesnt have the connection i circled in pic at the bottom of it to connect the old filter

Would this mean its missing soemhtin in packaging or it the wrong one n i gotta get a new one
Attached Thumbnails
pump7.jpg  
Old 27-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Haggis at standard level

this is how mine looks if u can tell from the bad photo
Attached Thumbnails
IMAGE_00045.jpg  
Old 27-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Flat Four Father

IMPRESHER at standard level
Send a message via MSN to IMPRESHER

Get a work shop to fit it for ya dont think its much ...
Old 27-10-2006, 07:41 PM

there is probably a thread inside there. Just get a brass fitting that threads into it and extends out with a ribbed nozzle.
Old 27-10-2006, 07:52 PM

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

he has a 040, not a 044 like u posted!

Ditch the 040! it will surge on your motor!
I have atm and im taking it off asap.Car runs like shit with it. they are not meant for subaru's since u cannot attach the sock pickup on them. get the 044 instead. plus its rated higher hp.

Tags
fuel, pump, question