Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru
Default MY06 Hybrid Fuel Cell

Hey guys,

I've just been talking to one of my mates in Sydney and supposedly there are a few 06 wrx's running around with a new hybrid fuel cell to reduce running costs and fuel consumption.

Basically, it is a set of electrolitic cells in series using a new form of technology which was released to the public in April 2006.

I have been reading up a lot about this and was wondering if anyone has had any success running it in Perth.

What you need to have is a set of cells like these:

How it works is like this:

Stage 1. A normal electrolysis cell doing what it does best, conventional electrolysis with the production of hydrogen, oxygen and heat. This production of gasses follows the well known Faraday rules, namely more current, more gas.

Stage 2. The 'seeding' of the cell with the new energy. At this stage the cell is attempting to initialise the conversion process, This can be equated to trying to push a child on a swing and pushing the swing out of synchronism ( or with insufficient force ) with the desired pendulum effect.

Stage 3. The 'breeding' stage of the cell. Since the 'seeding' phase was successful ( the swing is swinging ) and the cell is now accumulating and producing the desired energy. The output of the cell is greater than the combined design ( or otherwise ) losses, and the cell is useable

Interestingly enough there is no current running through a breeding cell when it is running a car. Once the water is charged sufficiently no further energy is required. The cell is generally connected to the car through an aluminium tube to someplace on the block close to a water passage. It will then charge the coolant water, which will provide the energy to run the engine.

The water is then able to store the energy as per all adiabatic systems for later use. The entropy levels of the stored energy can then increase in time to allow the system to run more efficiently, which can effectively only require these cells to operate a car.

So if anyone has had any luck running these or know anyone running them, please let me know as I wish to try and fit them to my 05.

Tags
cell, fuel, hybrid, my06