Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru
Default MY06 Hybrid Fuel Cell

Hey guys,

I've just been talking to one of my mates in Sydney and supposedly there are a few 06 wrx's running around with a new hybrid fuel cell to reduce running costs and fuel consumption.

Basically, it is a set of electrolitic cells in series using a new form of technology which was released to the public in April 2006.

I have been reading up a lot about this and was wondering if anyone has had any success running it in Perth.

What you need to have is a set of cells like these:

How it works is like this:

Stage 1. A normal electrolysis cell doing what it does best, conventional electrolysis with the production of hydrogen, oxygen and heat. This production of gasses follows the well known Faraday rules, namely more current, more gas.

Stage 2. The 'seeding' of the cell with the new energy. At this stage the cell is attempting to initialise the conversion process, This can be equated to trying to push a child on a swing and pushing the swing out of synchronism ( or with insufficient force ) with the desired pendulum effect.

Stage 3. The 'breeding' stage of the cell. Since the 'seeding' phase was successful ( the swing is swinging ) and the cell is now accumulating and producing the desired energy. The output of the cell is greater than the combined design ( or otherwise ) losses, and the cell is useable

Interestingly enough there is no current running through a breeding cell when it is running a car. Once the water is charged sufficiently no further energy is required. The cell is generally connected to the car through an aluminium tube to someplace on the block close to a water passage. It will then charge the coolant water, which will provide the energy to run the engine.

The water is then able to store the energy as per all adiabatic systems for later use. The entropy levels of the stored energy can then increase in time to allow the system to run more efficiently, which can effectively only require these cells to operate a car.

So if anyone has had any luck running these or know anyone running them, please let me know as I wish to try and fit them to my 05.
Old 30-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Very interesting.

I'm looking for any other way I can to boost the performance of my EJ207, and this could be a viable option.

My only concern, is that my MoTeC may not recognise the presence of a fuel cell, and its compensations might actually be inaccurate??

My 3 phase adiabatic solenoid might also have to be upgraded to a higher output MoTeC item.

Any ECU gurus able to help out with this one?
Old 30-10-2006, 02:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

rexwaggon at standard level

is this like hi clone ?
if so i want one
Old 03-11-2006, 01:28 PM
STI Master

feral at standard level

They had a bit on mythbusters the other night about this sort of stuff , being a gas i think the problem would be in the management of it .
Old 04-11-2006, 12:18 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fffffred at standard level

There's some pretty fancy shit going on here, i've been doing a bit of readin, should be studying for exams though,

by the sounds of it, if it's working properly, say good bye to petrol

i'm a bit skeptical it will be viable for commercial use at this point in time as not much is known about it, but not skeptical enough to say it doesn't work. but it's hard having conventional physics and quantum physics drilled into me previously, it's kinda hard to swallow, so i'll take few bites at a time for now.

so anyone here know anyone running something of this sort?
________
Web Shows

Last edited by fffffred; 22-08-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Tags
cell, fuel, hybrid, my06