Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

GOOSE at standard level
Send a message via MSN to GOOSE
Default Tmic

Hey evry1

Am opting to go for a new TMIC instead of a FMIC. Want to possibly get boost control and up it a little bit. Any ideas on what to buy or anything else i need to consider.

Car is MY00. Pretty stock except for bigger fuel pump (not sure how big but needs a tune so i dont guzzle so much fuel and actually get some decent boost from 2500-4000rpm) and an APS cold air intake.

Any help is much appreciated.

GOOSE
Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Sir AntiLag

PIGSTIWGN at standard level

hi mate, depends on what you want out of the car, if you want a full on "race" car go for the fmic. If not and you just want something alit more powerfull than stock but not full on, go larger tmic and bleed valve. I have GFB ATOMIC for sale $50.00 if you are interested pm me
Good luck
Old 04-11-2006, 11:35 PM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level

if you are running a stock turbo (td04) then you should be able to go up a couple of psi without too much hassle. also, it may be difficult to tune the stock computer (presume it is) for greater efficincy with fuel unless you can get someone to ecutek or verso it when this becomes available.

I have everything stock with the exception of a full exhaust, intercooler spray and link ecu. stock the car ran 12-14 psi depending on the weather. with the link installed it ran 17.5 psi with the spray going and made 150kw at the treads on a roller dyno quite late in the day and in relatively warm conditions. poor economy too.
with a tune, the boost was dropped to a solid 16psi and power was the same with much improved economy.

given that you have stock boost levels now, a couple of psi extra should be no problem.

if you do go for a larger top mount then i would suggest either an aps unit or a hyperflow/pwr unit. both are reasonably larger than the stock one.

don't be fooled into buying the same year/model sti ones because they are exactly the same item. bug eye onwards are larger but will require some fabrication of brackets and a trim of your master cylinder to fit correctly.

top mounts are also better for turbo lag because you don't have a long set of pipes from the intake to the inlet manifold.

you will find that your stock turbo will start to kick in at around 2500rpm and die around 4500-5000 rpm. I found this out at the drags as the turbo simply is not efficient at high revs. the td04 is the smallest turbo fitted to a wrx and was primary chosen because it was not laggy and provided low down power. the larger ones come in later and last higher in the revs, producing more top-end power. hard to find a balance of a turbo that comes on early and holds high up.

hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

darlyn at standard level

go the full hog for fck salke . all the modes that you asked for are going to cost a ming anyway so go the full hog put evethting in it will make it goes fast or you wallet go fast. stop with all the hype if the dude wants to spend some money then the thing will go fast if not spend some money and go al little bit more fast y9ur choice

by the way iM druck so do n=t disten to me
Old 05-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlyn
go the full hog for fck salke . all the modes that you asked for are going to cost a ming anyway so go the full hog put evethting in it will make it goes fast or you wallet go fast. stop with all the hype if the dude wants to spend some money then the thing will go fast if not spend some money and go al little bit more fast y9ur choice

groovy!

Long live the WRC
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOSE
Hey evry1

Am opting to go for a new TMIC instead of a FMIC. Want to possibly get boost control and up it a little bit. Any ideas on what to buy or anything else i need to consider.

Car is MY00. Pretty stock except for bigger fuel pump (not sure how big but needs a tune so i dont guzzle so much fuel and actually get some decent boost from 2500-4000rpm) and an APS cold air intake.

Any help is much appreciated.

GOOSE
Get an aftermarket ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my99wrx
hi mate, depends on what you want out of the car, if you want a full on "race" car go for the fmic. If not and you just want something alit more powerfull than stock but not full on, go larger tmic and bleed valve. I have GFB ATOMIC for sale $50.00 if you are interested pm me
Good luck
Who said "race" cars dont have use TMIC? Stay away from the bleed valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclubspecevo4
if you are running a stock turbo (td04) then you should be able to go up a couple of psi without too much hassle. also, it may be difficult to tune the stock computer (presume it is) for greater efficincy with fuel unless you can get someone to ecutek or verso it when this becomes available.

I have everything stock with the exception of a full exhaust, intercooler spray and link ecu. stock the car ran 12-14 psi depending on the weather. with the link installed it ran 17.5 psi with the spray going and made 150kw at the treads on a roller dyno quite late in the day and in relatively warm conditions. poor economy too.
with a tune, the boost was dropped to a solid 16psi and power was the same with much improved economy.

given that you have stock boost levels now, a couple of psi extra should be no problem.

if you do go for a larger top mount then i would suggest either an aps unit or a hyperflow/pwr unit. both are reasonably larger than the stock one.

don't be fooled into buying the same year/model sti ones because they are exactly the same item. bug eye onwards are larger but will require some fabrication of brackets and a trim of your master cylinder to fit correctly.

top mounts are also better for turbo lag because you don't have a long set of pipes from the intake to the inlet manifold.

you will find that your stock turbo will start to kick in at around 2500rpm and die around 4500-5000 rpm. I found this out at the drags as the turbo simply is not efficient at high revs. the td04 is the smallest turbo fitted to a wrx and was primary chosen because it was not laggy and provided low down power. the larger ones come in later and last higher in the revs, producing more top-end power. hard to find a balance of a turbo that comes on early and holds high up.

hope this helps.
Look at 02+ STI tmics. Good bang for buck.

At the moment no one in Perth will tune ECUtek's for GC8. Apparently Verso Automotive have something in the works for GC8.

*I am in no way affiliated with Verso Automotive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlyn

I have no idea what your on about, but WERD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
groovy!
Who says groovy these days!?!?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:21 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

GOOSE
Good call, try a MRT Bar and Plate TMIC. Compared to original its huge and its a simple swap. Do the post turbo Y pipe + Full 3" exhaust. Unichip + boost module will keep it economical and is a cost effective option. Stay with the original air box and paper filter. Fit an intercooler water spray and temps will remain good.
Cheers
Maddog
MY99 12.8qtr @ 105.38mph with TD04 and a TMIC...ok so its been hiflowed, ceramic coated, Deadbolt Monster Wastegate, Parallel Fuel Lines, Sard Fuel Reg, 03 RA Spec Fuel Pump and lets not forget the Motec M800
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 PM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level

Hey Morgs,

what is the benefit of the turbo shield you are using?

not a standard fitment?

Toni
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 PM
STI Master

SilentKilla at standard level

Off a liberty from the looks of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:04 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclubspecevo4
Hey Morgs,

what is the benefit of the turbo shield you are using?

not a standard fitment?

Toni
Its a Turbo Heat Shield off a 94/95 WRX. Subaru Engineers thought it worthwhile albeit a bit controversial. Allows turbo heat to vent up when stationary and vents down and away from the intercooler when on the move. Its had a few other mods since that picture was taken but the chimney is still firmly in place.
Still love my intercooler...

Tags
tmic