Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level
Default Modding/Tuning

G'day all,

Question time! Are people paranoid about modding their cars and not tuning them? I have recently put on a TBE and a pod filter. Now my main concern is that i would love to put on a FMIC BUT aparently not getting your car tuned directly after such a mod (aparently) is bad for it such as boost spikes occuring etc.

Now my pickle is this! I have been told and someone has explained it on this forum that the GC8 MY00 WRX (i think mines a GC8) can not be tuned therefore, modding my rexxy any further then looks at the moment could be potentially very very costly. I would be much appreciative (if thats even a word ) if someone could elaborate on this topic. I spose the actual question behind all the dribble is, if i do go ahead and put a FMIC without spending $3200 for a new Autronic ecu and tune will my car combust, set on fire and cost me lots of cash?

Thanks,

Eric

P.S. I apologise if there is already a topic/thread for this question. If you could you be so kind as to pointing me in the direction of it i'd be a happy man!

Last edited by Elrico; 27-12-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 27-12-2006, 12:32 PM

Mister Two at standard level

Unlike the newer WRXs, GC8 ECUs will not crack a spaz at moderate intake and exhaust mods. A FMIC running on your standard ECU will be fine, and you will see some small but noticeable gains from it.

Also, you dont have to go out and spend thousands on a new ECU. Take a look at the secondhand market. REXNET is a good place to go for cheap 2nd hand ECUs.

Also consider The Power FC as they are still readily available for later GC8s and are easily the best back for your buck after market ECU out there. They usually cost around $1200 new $1000 used including the hand controller. And lots of Suby workshops tune them. A power FC tune will probably cost in the region of $500.

Also if you have a my00 GC8 you can actually get a ECUTEK tune reflash. I have heard it was done on only a handful of my00 GC8s. But a Power FC is still be a better option as the cost is not much more and the Power FC ECU is a better ECU than a re-flashed stock ECU.

Last edited by Mister Two; 27-12-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 27-12-2006, 12:35 PM
STI Master

Thodd at standard level

Power FC, Verso, Link, all cheaper options than Autronic and Motec. Whilst it is best to have your car tuned after such mods, if you drive within reasonable limits, your car shouldn't come to much harm, however, things can still happen.
It seems that GC8's are a lot more mod friendly without tune than the newer models. But always better to get the tune done ASAP.

Hope that helps.
Old 27-12-2006, 12:59 PM

chee at standard level

Verso currently not available for MY99/00 GC8 and Ecutek to suit MY99/00 GC8 is only available over east.
Old 27-12-2006, 02:45 PM

Elrico at standard level

Cheers guys its good to know i aint stuck in a corner, limiting mods to my car because of the huge prices (too poor 3rd year electrical apps. $3200 is alot of cash). I have heard about these "Piggyback" ECU's. Could anyone expand on what excactly this is (making an assumption it sounds like an addon that can be tuned) and if they are a good/bad way to go?

Otherwise it sounds like a PowerFC setup might be the way to go later on down the track.

Thanks heaps and much appreciated,

Eric
Old 27-12-2006, 03:46 PM

nauli knows their stuff

Do something with the ECU and some waterspray and/or bigger top mount rather than thinking about a FMIC....you will get better gains and like people said, you can pick up all sorts on this stuff on forums and websites.
Old 27-12-2006, 03:53 PM

Elrico at standard level

Excuse my ignorance but does the efficiency of an intercooler depend on the surface area of the air the cooler catches? I was going to get the watersprayers mounted to the sides of my front bumper (internally obviously ;p) and spray it into my Frontmount.
Old 27-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Sphoolin, yes you are correct in regard to the cooling efficiency of a FMIC. In summer here in Perth it is a good thing, BUT:

Unless a FMIC setup is done properly and expensively with custom short length piping you are going to loose throttle response and introduce lag. It will be good for the drags, but for a responsive street weapon no. Especially it you plan on running it with a standard ECU.

Better bang for your buck can be had by upgrading your TD04 Turbo first to a VF34 or 35 (Exhaust First). This turbo will give you a great midrange kick, is more efficient when tuned and outputs lower air temps than a TD04 at similar boost pretty much negating the need for a FMIC. These should be $600-$700 second hand.

Add a Power FC or cheap PossumLink, put a waterspray on your existing TMIC, or grab a cheapie TMIC (APS/MRT/Hyperflow) second hand and you will be more than impressed.

Some for used gear:

http://www.wrxownersclub.com.au/TradPost/ForSale.html
www.rexnet.com.au
www.wrx.com.au

J
Old 27-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Elrico at standard level

So you can put a FMIC onto your car, and the shop will do it, but they will do it cheaply is what you are saying WRXTASY? They wont go for maximum output/efficiency, they will just do what they have to, to get the job done? Meaning increased length in pipes etc instead of custom short lengths. Ive just put my 3" S/S turbo back and hopfully my up-pipe within the next month
Old 27-12-2006, 08:39 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphoolin
and hopfully my up-pipe within the next month
Is there much point doing it on your car? I did it on my MY02 as it has a cat in the up-pipe, which not only obviously restricts flow going to the turbo, but with other mods, can potentially cause the cat to be sucked into the turbo.

For you though .. Don't think you would see any gains from doing it?

Tags
modding or tuning