Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SIR WRX @ WA at standard level
Default cage eggs v. free range - any difference?

My learned friends, can somebody tell/show me imperical evidence that free range eggs are better than cage eggs in regard to their nutritional value. I prefer to buy caged eggs because they are cheaper, and to me "egg is egg". But my wife tells me off all the time for getting "inferior" eggs!

Any input from nutritionist, body builders or egg farmers here??!

Cheers
Old 23-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

haha they aren't better mate, the animals just aren't treated cruely and locked in a cage. They live their life like you would if you were locked in your fukn toilet your whole life!
Buy free range, dont support animal cruelty.

******disclaimer: I am in no way a greenie!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 23-02-2007, 11:36 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

I buy free range eggs, whats a buck difference when it comes to animal cruelty.

The free range eggs seem to have harder shells and crack better on teh frying pan after a hard night.
Old 23-02-2007, 11:41 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Köura at standard level

I worked in a hatchery (for 7 days cause I was desperate for cash) when I was at uni in NZ. Moved chicken from 4 per cage to 6 per cage. I will NEVER buy cage chicken eggs. That place stunk like fuck.

I find the free range yolk a deeper yellow anyway. must have more good stuff in it...
Old 23-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

My shop sells eggs I buy from a hen farm about 23kms south of Perth. I dont know for sure whether they are cage eggs or not, although I suspect they are. However, I have had many customers compliment these eggs on the flavour. I have eaten them myself and the yolk definitely tastes richer and "creamer" than eggs you buy from coles. Im gonna ask next time I drive down there to get more eggs.

I have tried to sell free range eggs in the past but they did not go so well and my family ended up eating 10 dozen or so eggs within a week after the egg went past expiration. They were still good and I wasnt about to throw away $50 worth of eggs over a couple days past expiry.

Comparing the two though, the cage eggs I currently get taste just as good as the free range eggs I used to get.

I think the way an egg tastes and possibly its nutritional value is more affected by what they are fed rather than the way the hens are "stored".
Old 24-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Two
I think the way an egg tastes and possibly its nutritional value is more affected by what they are fed rather than the way the hens are "stored".
Yep, i used to deal with dairy products everyday and basically what the chooks are being fed and the conditions they are being kept in in will help with the nutrition and stuff. No point going into anything scientific or getting silly (cause lets face it, its an egg!) but free range eggs are *slightly" better tasting generally.

Free range is always gonna be better in the long run though. The chooks are far less stressed and i know i'd produce a better quality product if the conditions are good
Old 24-02-2007, 01:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Alex at standard level

What about actual chicken? Does it taste any better if it hasnt been caged?

I say give the poor animals some freedom, keep them out of cages, let them preserve their taste once they're slaughtered and ready for me to eat.
Old 24-02-2007, 01:58 AM
STI Master

LTDGC8 at standard level

bbbahauhauahuahhau...damn this is a funny thread......LOL

its not ONLY boyz who drive nice cars!!!!
Old 24-02-2007, 07:23 AM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Well, for starters... eggs that are "free range" are exactly that, completely natural aswell.. Eggs that are from "caged chickens" 1: contain steroids, as they pump them full of it so they grow faster and start laying eggs. Also a normal "free range" chicken lays 1 egg a day, sometimes 2, a "caged chicken" will lay almost 8 eggs a day, somehow they fuck with the internal body clock to make it think its a new day, they turn the lights off to simulate night, then on for day time. Its pretty cruel.

If you want good eggs, get some chickens... easy as to look after (I have 6), you can give them ur scraps and left overs (just not eggs, they aren't carnivores!), they are wicked for your garden plus u get FREE eggs every day.
Old 24-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV
Well, for starters... eggs that are "free range" are exactly that, completely natural aswell.. Eggs that are from "caged chickens" 1: contain steroids, as they pump them full of it so they grow faster and start laying eggs. Also a normal "free range" chicken lays 1 egg a day, sometimes 2, a "caged chicken" will lay almost 8 eggs a day, somehow they fuck with the internal body clock to make it think its a new day, they turn the lights off to simulate night, then on for day time. Its pretty cruel.

If you want good eggs, get some chickens... easy as to look after (I have 6), you can give them ur scraps and left overs (just not eggs, they aren't carnivores!), they are wicked for your garden plus u get FREE eggs every day.
and they stink, and they make noise.... id rather buy my eggs.. pity i dont eat them anyway..

Tags
cage, difference, eggs, range