Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-03-2007, 12:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

rspct at standard level

The 'jaggy edges' come from the fact that LCD screens suck at displaying anything but the native resolution of the panel (basically you can't display half a pixel on LCDs so you lose contrast). So, when you play the ps3 at 540p you are not sticking to the 1080p native resolution of the panel, and it becomes blurry.

Lucky for you the ps3 is able to display the native resolution of your tv, so yeah like the others said, get a hdmi cable.
Old 30-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
You can get HDMI Switch boxes. Around the $200 mark for a 3-way box
i think ill save the money and just alternate bewtween then two for now haha.

thanks for the help guys, sounds like the prob with the game is caused by the cables, will get the HDMI cable asap. Thanks
Old 30-03-2007, 12:49 PM
STI Master

[BANNED] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspct
The 'jaggy edges' come from the fact that LCD screens suck at displaying anything but the native resolution of the panel (basically you can't display half a pixel on LCDs so you lose contrast). So, when you play the ps3 at 540p you are not sticking to the 1080p native resolution of the panel, and it becomes blurry.

Lucky for you the ps3 is able to display the native resolution of your tv, so yeah like the others said, get a hdmi cable.
So are you saying that....if say I bought an LCD that was 768p.... and ran a picture into it which was 720p or 1080p....it'd look shithouse?

I asked this question in a thread about a week ago and got no replies

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/11244-high-def-scaling-how-much-does-affect-quality.html

Apologies for hijacking!

Last edited by [BANNED]; 30-03-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 30-03-2007, 01:31 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

krazcool at standard level

Don't go for cheap HDMI cables. I got a free HDMI cable with my PS3, look dodgy as. When I plugged it in it doesn't work. I got so pissed off that I went out to buy a $99 HDMI cable (I know I got ripped off but my state of mind at that time was I HAVE to get my PS3 to work). I was told there are difference in HDMI cables as well, I never researched it but my philosophy is that you get what you pay for. If you don't have a spare HDMI connection, check to see if you have the connection for component cables (the RGB cable) that cable can handle the HD output like HDMI. Except you'll still need the audio cable if you're using the component cable. HDMI cables outputs both display and sound.

After you get your cables, you'll LOVE your PS3. Trust me. There was a BIG difference when I was using the RCA cables and my now HDMI cable.
Old 30-03-2007, 01:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

krazcool at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BANNED]
So are you saying that....if say I bought an LCD that was 768p.... and ran a picture into it which was 720p or 1080p....it'd look shithouse?

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/11244-high-def-scaling-how-much-does-affect-quality.html

Apologies for hijacking!
Running at 720p will look perfect. If you look at the back of the games it'll show you the resolution for maximum quality. Most games out at the moment are made for 720p. There's only a few 1080p out. I know for sure that NBA2K support 1080p, I haven't search to see which other games support 1080p yet.
Old 30-03-2007, 03:38 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

rspct at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BANNED]

Apologies for hijacking!
Basically, no, As 720p is actualy 1378 by 768 resolution or something like that (i think it just cuts off 4 pixels at the top and bottom?). Panels generally arent manufactured in deviation from the HD and SD standards (480i/p, 576i/p, 720i/p and 1080i/p)

Oh and you can't run 1080p on a 720p panel, only 1080i which is more a trick than true HD, although the advantages of 1080p are debatable at certain distances from the panel.

Tags
nerds, question, tech