Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Sir AntiLag

wannabe at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stockers*
+1 for Stickers, and a suggestion?

CHANGING OF LANES

The simple act of changing from one lane to another is seemingly too complex for the average Perth driver. Sudden changes, without warning and with little or no concern for the safety of other road users are the standard fare. Often starting a chain reaction of sudden and unnecessary braking that leads to congestion or accidents, changing lanes is not a WA strength.

Concerning Indicators
It is a requirement of WA vehicle registration for a vehicle to be road-worthy. This means: to be possessed of a full set of functioning indicators (those little orange signal lights). Contrary to popular belief, they are designed to alert other road users to the intended path of your vehicle. Not the current bearing of your steering wheel. That is; to indicate prior to making an action..

The Solution:
We know you are turning now! We can see your vehicle changing direction! What we didn’t know - before you swerved suddenly into the gap in front of us – was that you wanted to enter our lane. It is not difficult to give the other road users a little warning that you are going to make a change. It may even make the action easier; when a driver sees a vehicle in the lane next to him indicating to move into his lane, he can de-throttle and without braking produce a safe and suitable gap for your entry. Simply put: give some warning! It’s not just polite – it’s logical.
the g/f and i were commenting on this the other day... how may people dont indicate at all when turning corners or changing lanes! we have seen soooooo many lately, seems to be getting worse.

i can honestly say i have never changed lanes or turned a corner with out indicating, its just an instant reaction like putting on a seat belt.

Last edited by wannabe; 20-12-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 20-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
the g/f and i were commenting on this the other day... how may people dont indicate at all when turning corners or changing lanes! we have seen soooooo many lately, seems to be getting worse.

i can honestly say i have never changed lanes or turned a corner with out indicating, its just an instant reaction like putting on a seat belt.
Were they all taxi drivers? Seems to be common practice with them.

"Never indicate again! - Become a taxi driver today!"

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt
Old 20-12-2007, 06:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

but is this ever policed?

they will pull over a car for being too loud, but i am yet to see a copper pull someone for tailgating ot failing to indicate.

ohh but they will pull me over for taking the 'wide line' and crossing a dashed white line when turning a corner (yes i know its technically illegal) while its only me and the undercover copper 200m behind..

/rant
Old 20-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Sir AntiLag

AIG at standard level

I like how Perth drivers will simply put the indicator on when they want to change lanes, and then figure out if there is a suitable gap in the traffic. If your coming up on them and suddenly you see an indicator come on you dont know what the hell they're going to do.
Indicate when your ready to change lanes and theres a suitable gap!!

I've lived in Vic, Tassie and SA and only really noticed it here.
Old 20-12-2007, 11:34 PM
STI Master

JA50N at standard level

Start stamp collecting Joe. It would cure you daily boredom!!!

www.racetorque.com.au
www.anytimetowing.com.au
Old 21-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIG
If your coming up on them and suddenly you see an indicator come on you dont know what the hell they're going to do.
Maybe they are going to change lanes?

I do this sometimes when the traffic is heavy, its a euro thing. Shows that you intend to change lanes, obviously when its safe.

Has the effect of letting others know, especially cars approaching fast in the outside lane to slow down or be aware that you are about to pull out...
Old 21-12-2007, 11:18 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

wr0ng at standard level
Exclamation

think how much petrol would be saved by not slowing down/speeding up constantly. Having lived and driven in the UK, South Africa and Sri Lanka i can honestly say only sri lankans are worse drivers
my 2c
Old 21-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Sir AntiLag

AIG at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by atz 242

I do this sometimes when the traffic is heavy, its a euro thing. Shows that you intend to change lanes, obviously when its safe.

Has the effect of letting others know, especially cars approaching fast in the outside lane to slow down or be aware that you are about to pull out...
Fair enough in heavy traffic. I just dont trust other drivers in faster moving traffic. Some will change lanes, some will just sit there. They struggle to figure out speed and distance and become indecisive and a bit unpredicatable.
Old 21-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

*Stockers* at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by atz 242

And SOMETIMES if the person is polite, then will back off to let you in. Rarely though, everyone on the road seems to think its some kind of turf war.
Old 21-12-2007, 03:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIG
I like how Perth drivers will simply put the indicator on when they want to change lanes, and then figure out if there is a suitable gap in the traffic.

and here I was thinking that was the entire point.

Tags
freeway, guide, joe, merging, problems