Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Sir AntiLag

squid at standard level

Some LED tvs are just LCD with leds to brighten them up lol

and jbhifi innaloo/Osbourne park had 42" LCD HD Smart 3d tvs for 399 few weeks back
come with wifi, HDD and all dat shit you'll proberly only ever use to show off with haha

previous house we had all the LG Gear - 50" smart 3d led tv, media center thingy under neath and full wireless surround = wang factor and facebook&pwrx&youtube on your tv haha-you'll be better off just having a PC next to your TV with all your movies/music etc
the 50" TLC TVs at work for $250ea chop haha (yeah its chinese, but they are pretty decent - equivalent to brand name stuff
have over 40 of them, and for over a year and no trouble)

MY 2c.

personally i like the old fat ones.
my step-brother collects them for nothing off people and now has a feature wall made out of them and runs music or some shit thru them and they form this huge awesome wavey/colourfull "6x25m thing" haha

:)
Old 13-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
Panasonic Viera plasma.

Don't listen to the haters, plasma is fine.

Go to Harvey moron - look at both see which you like, don't let the salesman talk you into anything you don't like the look of, make sure you check out something fast moving - nothing worse than slow refresh on a big screen...
thats what i noticed on a 3000 led.

afaik, max led is 200hz plasma 600hz atm
Old 14-04-2012, 12:07 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

ams at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon2002 View Post
thats what i noticed on a 3000 led.

afaik, max led is 200hz plasma 600hz atm
Re: squids post, side lit lcd as far as i know are in a majority of mainstream tv's being sold as "led lcd tv's".

Refresh rates are important for 3d ability. I have a feeling the tv needs to be capable of a minimum refresh rate of around 500-600Hz (don't quote me on that number) to be able to display 3d shit.

I bought a 3d Viera plasma because it was a wicked tv with good features and a great picture for a really good price. I didn't get it for the 3d however i do watch 3d stuff more than i thought i would.
Old 14-04-2012, 07:11 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

Don't get into this whole LCD/LED vs Plasma debate, it's been done too often and no-one wins. It's all on personal judgement and based on where your going got put it or what your going to use it for.

For $1500, plasma is going to give you more value for money. No if's or buts. Whether you buy a Plasma or LCD/LED, once you hit a certain point, you start paying more for very little visual differences. You start paying for connectivity, Wi-Fi, 3D, Smart TV etc etc. Either way, whatever you purchase is likely to be better than what you have. At home you won't have 50 other TVs side by side to compare it against so it will like the bomb regardless.

Side by side, you cannot compare a brand name TV to a non brand name TV, the sharpness, the colours & the screen are not the same. You really do get what you pay for these days. If everything was the same for half the price we'd all be driving hotted up base model imprezas instead of a WRX because why spend more if it's the same!?!

I'll have prices for you in a few hours, I'll give you a whole bunch of different models in your price range and you can decide for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon911 For This Useful Post:
red dragon2002 (14-04-2012)
Old 14-04-2012, 11:19 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

rjb at standard level

I know you're set on a plasma but check out the LG 55LW6500. I bought mine from Harvey Norman a few months ago for about $2,500. I've always been a Samsung fan but this seriously left anything they had for dead. Not sure if they still sell the model but definitely worth checking out if your budget can handle it. Not that it was a deciding factor, but it has the same 3D as the cinemas and I can't fault it.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Sooo... what's the verdict. Thinking of buying one before EOFY.. some good specials on at the moment.

I watch a lot of footy, few movies, etc... what do you suggest? Thinking 55" at least.

The Plasma's seem to be much cheaper.... true?
Old 28-06-2012, 10:11 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

STiV6 at standard level

I've got a LED/LCD 40" Bravia, got it about a year ago and the thing hasn't done me wrong at all. Refresh rate is great, to be fair I generally only use it for my ps3 (HDMI cabled) and movies but for what I paid (799) it's been a damn good buy.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:55 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

Go have a look, your eyes don't lie.

Plasma is generally always better value for money at a lower price point.

Remember, your paying for connectivity and other features (Smart TV, 3D) these days as the price gets up.
Old 29-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

the bigger size you go like 45" and above generally plasma is better than LCD and even better are LED
offtopic: I was at goodguys(cannington) last night and scored a 5.5kg LG washing machine for under 450 (display model tho)
Also they had heaps of tv on sale go quick
Old 29-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

You've got to take power usage into account these day with the price of electricity. I think Plasma used to be evil as with power. My old one drew 475watts and was quite warm when running.

I have a 55 Samsung LED LCD now, and I believe this to be far more efficient. Always cool to touch even when on for hours. I think the LED LCD will always draw less power than any Plasma?

Tags
lcd, plasma