Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Subaru Tech Division

wild_rx at standard level
Send a message via MSN to wild_rx
Default Audi A3

I know some people who are looking at buying an Audi A3, specifically the 3.2l V6 quattro. Was just wondering if anyone on here has driven/owns one or knows anyone who does own one. Just looking for some feedback on reliability, performance. Also what other cars that you could recommend of a similar size!

thanks in advance

Tim
Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

devilfish at standard level

well i nearly bought an S3 but decided on a WRX instead as the size suited me better. I have owned a VR6 Mk3 Golf Syncro (4WD haldex system) and tho its not identical to the A3 3.2 quattro, its very similar, the engine is the same essentially and so is the 4wd system.

Its not going to handle as well as a wrx as the engine is a big lump, its really designed for the Autobahn, Also its very expensive to tune, you may as well forget it out here, my golf had a vortech supercharger, with supporting mods, this cost about $9000+ in the UK, will be more here, the 3.2 really isnt tuneable easily, However the 1.8 turbo is, still will be expensive out here, i'd go for the 3.2 if you like the noise and smoothness of the v6, great fun when going above 100kmh, but for blatting arround town below the speedlimit i'd go for the 1.8 T (if this is still available?)

Chris
Old 02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Subaru Tech Division

wild_rx at standard level
Send a message via MSN to wild_rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish
well i nearly bought an S3 but decided on a WRX instead as the size suited me better. I have owned a VR6 Mk3 Golf Syncro (4WD haldex system) and tho its not identical to the A3 3.2 quattro, its very similar, the engine is the same essentially and so is the 4wd system.

Its not going to handle as well as a wrx as the engine is a big lump, its really designed for the Autobahn, Also its very expensive to tune, you may as well forget it out here, my golf had a vortech supercharger, with supporting mods, this cost about $9000+ in the UK, will be more here, the 3.2 really isnt tuneable easily, However the 1.8 turbo is, still will be expensive out here, i'd go for the 3.2 if you like the noise and smoothness of the v6, great fun when going above 100kmh, but for blatting arround town below the speedlimit i'd go for the 1.8 T (if this is still available?)

Chris

Cheers, wont have to worry bout any mods as my parents are the ones buying it!!!! i wish i could afford something like that!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Tanglez at standard level

my gfs parents hav got one. the only problem which was major was that the compression in one of the cyliders had gone... but it was covered under warrenty and audi replaced it.

[url]www.battrick.org[/url] - because i never made it to the big time
Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

in our experience the most euros are unreliable. For the first few years you have electircal problems, then it goes to cooling system problems and oil leaks as they age. then they get really old and have really big electrical problems as said before they are a bit slow but if you like the car then dont let the problems change your mind
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

EYEZ at standard level

I'm currently driving a 2004 VW Golf R32 .... which also has 3.2 V6.
Completely different car to the rex's and gtir I had previous .... but still fucking good fun and they sound peachy.
Plenty of bootz of the line with the Haldex all wheel drive ... and plenty of cornering fun with the traction control of in the wet
I'm actually very happy with the car, its got the most comfortable reclining leather buckets I've ever sat in ... you get seat warmers, climate control, 8 speaker stereo etc. The ride is nice not too hard but not so soft that it feels like your cornering in a commonwhore.
Touch wood ... but I haven't had any problems (aside from a dead battery) thus far.

Tags
a3, audi