Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-02-2008, 02:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

devilfish at standard level

Armed forces + current world stability = send you anywhere + get blown up / shot at

its not all canoeing and footy!

And i came here after doing 13 years in the UK defence force. Only sign on the line if your prepared to do the time and dont mind being owned for the duration.

Good luck.
Old 14-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

1 tip. Dont ever write "tat" when meaning 'that' again. Its just dam annoying!

http://kap.industries/
Old 14-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

My bro lives in Canberra, nice quiet place for a holiday but wouldn't like to live there, might get boring.
Old 14-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Mat at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish
Armed forces + current world stability = send you anywhere + get blown up / shot at
Beats sitting in a city office cubicle doing the same repetitive stuff day in day out!!

What bloke doesnt wanna be a fighter pilot Saying you cant do something is the wrong attitude in life too!
Old 14-02-2008, 08:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

devilfish at standard level

been there done that.. rather spend time with my family, and have my weekends.
Old 14-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

SublimeForester at standard level

If your going for pilot i would suggest doing atleast a trial introductory flight with someone like the royal aeroclub. You really want to know you'll enjoy it if your gonna put yourself through hell and back with the training.
I applied when i was about your age (about8 years ago now) and one thing I picked up from the testing was that they need you to be able to show you can produce results in a given time frame. That means if you have 100 minutes to answer 100 questions they are looking for people who get a high percentage correct, but who will also make sound educated guessing to ensure they complete the questions in the given time. I only answered 80 of the questions and got 78 of them right. but it still wasnt enough.

I had also spent 4 years in the Air Training Corps (cadets) and knew a lot about general service life, RAAF history, traditions Rank structure, etc etc etc which gave me good grounding, but certainly isnt neccessary. I had also studied Aviation at ECU and completed my GFPT part of flying training.

I think it would be safe to say, that having the attitude of "i dont want to do it forever" isnt really gonna get you too far. Like any employer they wont want to spend time and money investing in your training if they knew you were going to walk away from it. It costs a small fortune to train a pilot for active duty.

having said that if you did persue it and get in, and go on to be an Air Defence officer, you would certainly have great credentials in Civi life. Particularly in a management role. As an officer in the RAAF you will mainly be managing people and projects (pilots aside) as a majority of your work. The guys who have been in can correct me if im wrong on this. I know my sister (did electronic engineering in the RAAF after graduating from ADFA) found she did very little hands on work which is what she really enjoyed.

Hope this helps a little, and best of luck with it.
Old 14-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Scoobie Noobie

ramcut at standard level

In short: currently at 2FTS so any specific questions just shoot me a PM.

All those careers are good, but as said before only join for something you really want to do. Transfers are hard, and your return of service is long for something you dont like.

For Pilot: get a few hours up at the local air school (not from the area so i dont know who is good) This will get you over the WOW IM FLYING feeling when you get to flight screening. More than that may teach you bad habits.
For the OBS, they like to see that you may not be the best, but you will work harder than anyone else to get that job. You want to be the best and will work hard every day.

For ATC or ADO: get your recruiter to book/organise a work experience day/week in one of these jobs. They should do it and it will help you make an informed decision.

General: Work on anything you think that an officer should be/have (leadership, service job and aircraft knowledge, writing, spelling, maths, reasoning, followership, etc). Know what your average day will be like during training and once qualified, and remember training is not like your job, so dont quit because you think its crap during training.

As the saying goes, it doesnt matter what you join as, in the end you are all clerks

Last edited by ramcut; 14-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 15-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Sir AntiLag

WHITEMY08 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfish
been there done that.. rather spend time with my family, and have my weekends.
AMEN.......

Tags
career, deciding, options, raaf