Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-02-2008, 12:38 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

poko_pano at standard level
Default Anyone in the RAAF? need help deciding career options...

G'day guys

Im currently a 22yr in my final year at uni and for the past 2 months or so have been looking at joining up to the defence force.

I've recently attend JOES day and managed to do quite well in the aptitude tests and medical.

Basically i've been offered quite a number of selections of jobs but i what i really want is to join as a Direct Entry officer.

My main interests are in the following Officer Jobs that i've been offered:

1. Air Combat Officer
2. Air Traffic Controller
3. Pilot

Now to my main questions.

As I am not planning on staying in the Raaf forever, so what type of careers will Air Combat officer led to?
I have searched high and low but as it is a newly introduced role i can't seem to find too much regarding it.

Secondly, right now im most interested in becoming a pilot. It seems really challenging and it has motivated me to move off my butt, conquer my fears and do something about my life. Something about being the best of the best really appeals to me.

But what are my next steps besides booking in for secondary pilot aptitude tests?

What do i be aware of?
What do i need to study for?

Basically im wanting to know how i should best prepare myself for the greatest chance of getting in!
The stats are daunting (somethings like 10,000 people apply per yr and only 100 get through)

SO if there's anyone that gotten into the RAAF recently, especially as a pilot, please help a fella out

Sorry for the long post

Much much appreciated

William
Old 14-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

I am letting go of my commercial chopper license theory cheap cheap if you need
Old 14-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Dont know you personally and I am not trying to be rude but my understanding is that you need absolutely perfect 20 / 20 vision. i.e. no glasses.

Air Traffic Controller is a seriously stressfull job. I know there was a vacancy going in perth at the moment for one at the international. Dont know if it has been filled yet.

Brendon
Old 14-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko_pano
G'day guys

Im currently a 22yr in my final year at uni and for the past 2 months or so have been looking at joining up to the defence force.

I've recently attend JOES day and managed to do quite well in the aptitude tests and medical.

Basically i've been offered quite a number of selections of jobs but i what i really want is to join as a Direct Entry officer.

My main interests are in the following Officer Jobs that i've been offered:

1. Air Combat Officer
2. Air Traffic Controller
3. Pilot

Now to my main questions.

As I am not planning on staying in the Raaf forever, so what type of careers will Air Combat officer led to?
I have searched high and low but as it is a newly introduced role i can't seem to find too much regarding it.

Secondly, right now im most interested in becoming a pilot. It seems really challenging and it has motivated me to move off my butt, conquer my fears and do something about my life. Something about being the best of the best really appeals to me.

But what are my next steps besides booking in for secondary pilot aptitude tests?

What do i be aware of?
What do i need to study for?

Basically im wanting to know how i should best prepare myself for the greatest chance of getting in!
The stats are daunting (somethings like 10,000 people apply per yr and only 100 get through)

SO if there's anyone that gotten into the RAAF recently, especially as a pilot, please help a fella out

Sorry for the long post

Much much appreciated

William
Two friends of mine are RAAF pilots. There was a great tv series on SBS just recently called "The real top guns" and it was about fighter pilots in the airforce. Might be worth a look. The chances of flying "fast jets" though are quite small, so if all you want to do is fly hornets then you better work bloody hard.

Have you ever been in control of an aircraft before? might be worth doing a few flying lessons just to make sure it's definitely something you want to do. There are months of flying training once you are inducted so doing a full PPL would be a waste of money IMHO. another option might be to joing the local AAFC (Air Force Cadets) they take it all pretty seriously like the real airforce so it might give you an idea for what you would be getting yourself into as an officer in the RAAF.

Also from my understanding the more you can show that you would be "worthy" the better, so doing some comunity work, maybe as volunteer fire fighter or such would help too.

I've always wanted to be a pilot and I do plan some day to get my license, I really don't think the Airforce would have been for me. It is full on, As i have said my friends have been through 2FTS and completed their flying training and are now flying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-3_Orion but from what I am told the testing never stops, there is always another level you have to achieve.

Good luck mate, if you do decided to enter as a pilot I hope it all goes well for you!
Old 14-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
Dont know you personally and I am not trying to be rude but my understanding is that you need absolutely perfect 20 / 20 vision. i.e. no glasses.

Air Traffic Controller is a seriously stressfull job. I know there was a vacancy going in perth at the moment for one at the international. Dont know if it has been filled yet.

Brendon

I did all the entry exams & interview for Air Traffic control, its not just as easy as applying for a job and getting it!
Old 14-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Sir AntiLag

WHITEMY08 at standard level

I was in the defence force for 8 years and just got out last year.
ONLY go in if you get the career you want.........
Otherwise you will be spending your ROSO saying this is fuct.

Take advice from people that have done the career you are interested in not some desk jockey clerk who has landed himself a dream posting in the city with Recruitment or worse still a civi who knows nothing except what they have read.

I completely enjoyed what I did and only moved on due to family and the need for a new Rex.
The money is ok, not fantastic...... they just make it sound good.
But most of all do what you want to do.
Old 14-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr?
I did all the entry exams & interview for Air Traffic control, its not just as easy as applying for a job and getting it!
I know that. What I was alluding to was that there are often positions available once you have finished your training and that you dont necesarily have to travel to get a job.

Brendon
Old 14-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

dont have alot constructive to offer other than GO FOR IT.

I saw the series on SBS as well, excellent to watch and get an insight to the job day in day out.

I guess you need to ensure that you have no weaknesses, work on what you can as much as possible, work on your communication, perceptual skills and how to appear confident without it being percieved as arrogance : )
Old 14-02-2008, 10:40 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

poko_pano at standard level

THANKS HEAPS guys

yeah i just bought the Real Top guns dvd the other day, watched it all straight away

now to be honest i haven't spent anytime flying at all but i have always wanted to but told myself tat i can never do it. BUt stuff tat, i know its hard and challenging but tat is exactly why i want to go in, to push myself to the limit.
it doesn't matter what i fly, my main aim is to Learn to fly and get a trade that i can use when i come out.

and about the eyesight thing, alot of the pilots in the RAAF wear glasses, heck even i do.
BUT u have to have 6/12 unaided and 20/20 aided which i do so that's why they have offered me for further testing

just a few more questions.... whats it like in the Officer Selection Board?
anyone done it recently?
Old 14-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

megs_wrx at standard level
Send a message via MSN to megs_wrx

Yeah go for it! If you've got the brains to do it, which from my understanding you have, definitely do it!

I don't know if it's different in the airforce, but normal pilots when they go for jobs are GRILLED on questions about the aircraft they will be flying, even if they've never flown them before. So maybe have a study of the aircraft you could be flying.

Was also considering joining up to the RAAF as a CREWATT (flight attendant) but not too keen on leaving WA at the moment. Canberra and Cairns would have been the bases, anyone been to Canberra? My experience there =

Ginger Ninja...

Tags
career, deciding, options, raaf