Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Sir AntiLag

SpitShine at standard level
Default Any Gold Jewellers On This Forum

As the title suggests, i'm after someone who's relatively familiar with gold jewellery. my gf brought me back a gold ring from asia and is concerned as to whether its real gold or not because she paid quite a bit of $$ for it. There's a stamp imprinted on the inside but even with a magnifying glass i can't make it out. I know that in australia they use the metric % to distinguish real gold using these stamps:

10 kt is 375
14 kt is 485
18 kt is 750

Some people are telling me that if you scrape off a bit and it peels then Wallah! its plated or the way it shines... but i'd rather some1 who knows their stuff to analyze it..
Old 15-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitShine
As the title suggests, i'm after someone who's relatively familiar with gold jewellery. my gf brought me back a gold ring from asia and is concerned as to whether its real gold or not because she paid quite a bit of $$ for it. There's a stamp imprinted on the inside but even with a magnifying glass i can't make it out. I know that in australia they use the metric % to distinguish real gold using these stamps:

10 kt is 375
14 kt is 485
18 kt is 750

Some people are telling me that if you scrape off a bit and it peels then Wallah! its plated or the way it shines... but i'd rather some1 who knows their stuff to analyze it..
Generally speaking, to get a proper analysis on what quality the gold is in, you would need a smal piece of it, which would end up ruining the ring. I am still half asleep, cant really think of another way of analysing it at the moment (brain is not working lol)
You can get expert opinions from people who weight it, look at it etc. and might tell you what they think, but not sure how accurate they are.

Other thing, the code isnt always a %, in some cases, the stamp might have an alloy code rather than a percentage.

Does it feel heavy for its size & what karot is it?

Last edited by gumby2006; 15-02-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

If you want a jeweller to look at it, my mate is a jeweller and works from his home workshop.

PM me if you're keen.
Old 15-02-2008, 08:31 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

servos subi at standard level

weigh it.... Gold is quite heavy and if you weigh it u will have some idea as to whether it is real gold or not, another way is to take it to a jeweller and they can weigh it from there they will tell u whether its real or not.

The other dodgy way is to take it to cash converters and ask what they will give ya for it.... thats the quickest way.... but really dodgy.
Old 15-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Sir AntiLag

i know its definately not 24k or 22k as the gold isn't a strong yellow so i'm assuming its 9k or possibly 18k. I was able to make out one character imprint on the inside of the ring. the letter K but the rest is still a blur.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by servos subi
weigh it.... Gold is quite heavy and if you weigh it u will have some idea as to whether it is real gold or not, another way is to take it to a jeweller and they can weigh it from there they will tell u whether its real or not.
Weight might be a vague guide, but in the end, tells you little about what the ring is actually composed of. Seen alot of fakes come into work for testing, they use various techniques to fool people, including, adding a lead or other heavy metal to the core of the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servos subi
The other dodgy way is to take it to cash converters and ask what they will give ya for it.... thats the quickest way.... but really dodgy.
My experience is your better off asking a jeweler before asking cashies.

Quote:
i know its definately not 24k or 22k as the gold isn't a strong yellow so i'm assuming its 9k or possibly 18k. I was able to make out one character imprint on the inside of the ring. the letter K but the rest is still a blur.
Take a photo and put it on here.
24k gold is also quite soft (for a metal) and would easily bend out of shape. Most likely its 18 or 9. Given you saying its not a strong yellow then most likely its 9k gold.
My job everyday is gold purity analysis, and while I could probably tell you by looking at it, what the approximate gold content is, and by weight. This is NOT a guarantee that the ring is not plated.

Only way of a 100% guarantee is going to involve removal of a piece of metal from the ring,
or,
a method that can damage the ring or stain it. (putting a drop or 2 of Nitric acid on it)
Given that the ring is from Asia, and knowing what metals are generally in their Jewelry alloys, I strongly wouldnt advise this method.
Old 15-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

Makavel at standard level

if its from asia it prob be very low quality gold...
Old 15-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Has your finger turned green yet?
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 15-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

I went to Karynup today and went around a few jewellers and all were inconclusive. i'll take some more pictures and i'll put it up on later.
Old 15-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Sir AntiLag

Makavel at standard level

Quote:
I went to Karynup today and went around a few jewellers and all were inconclusive. i'll take some more pictures and i'll put it up on later.

well you have your answer right there it prob ain't even gold hahaha

Tags
forum, gold, jewellers