Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level
Default Record TV on your PS3

I think this is due out late March. Sounds good.

The info is flying fast today as Sony's launches a multi-tiered attack on the entertainment community. Luckily, we've got some additional info on the just announced PlayTV TV tuner / DVR for the PS3, and we'd like to share it. The unit will apparently be coming to Europe "early in 2008" with other territories to follow (PAL only for now). The new box will feature two 1080p tuners, which utilize the European Digital Video Broadcasting system (DVB-T) -- which should dash any US hopes for the time being. The system will allow you to store recorded broadcasts on your PS3 drive, and also transcode and transfer the saved files to your PSP. Additionally, you'll be able to use the PSP's "Remote Play" feature to program and watch your PlayTV away from home. Sony reps also make the bold pronouncement that the PlayTV architecture will "never be out of date" due to automatic network updates from the company. We're gutted that the US gets no love from Sony on this one, but it's a good time to be a European PlayStation 3 fan, that's for sure
Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Sir AntiLag

BXT at standard level

So how will this work?
Is it a new version of the PS3 or is it a new box to add onto existing PS3's?
Would really be interested in this....atm i'm recording on my pc and streaming to the PS3.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

same here would be very interesting but wouldn't it be easier to buy a tv tuner card for your computer, it be cheaper and some what better quality.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

Screw tv! get your shows and movies as soon as they come out, not delayed and with adverts.

http://thepiratebay.org
Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXT
So how will this work?
Is it a new version of the PS3 or is it a new box to add onto existing PS3's?
Would really be interested in this....atm i'm recording on my pc and streaming to the PS3.

No it just plugs into your PS3. You record normal TV and foxtel and you can also stream it live to your PSP or record it to your psp to watch later. And it's physically quite small. It would be cheaper to buy a TV card for your PC, but that won't record Foxtel plus if you want to watch a movie you have to do that on your monitor not your TV.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
STI Master

here's a bit more info on it:

http://sonyplaystationthree.wordpres...ice-announced/
Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I don't see what the big fuss about it is? So this product is a tv tuner that uses the PS3 hard drive and computing power. Since the PS3 does not have a burner you can't get the data off (well you can copy it to your PSP) and I'm sure everyones 40-80 gig hdd will fill up quickly. Oh and this costs 100 pounds too.

Just buy a DVR with an inbuilt hdd (which will be much larger than the PS3 hdds). It also has the ability to burn the media to DVD to watch later if you wish.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I don't see what the big fuss about it is? So this product is a tv tuner that uses the PS3 hard drive and computing power. Since the PS3 does not have a burner you can't get the data off (well you can copy it to your PSP) and I'm sure everyones 40-80 gig hdd will fill up quickly. Oh and this costs 100 pounds too.

Just buy a DVR with an inbuilt hdd (which will be much larger than the PS3 hdds). It also has the ability to burn the media to DVD to watch later if you wish.
It records TV. And you don't need it on DVD format, just watch it on your ps3. You can adjust the resolution which in turn adjusts the size of the file. But I'm assuming once you've seen whatever you've recorded you're going to delete it. The whole idea with the PS3 is to do everything in 1 box, not have 3 seperate units. Won't be right for some people, will be perfect for me. i rarely use DVDs/CDs. I download movies from the net in divx format direct to ps3, I watch youtube on the ps3, I download and play music direct to ps3. that is why I don't have a dvd recorder. Old skool.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

bit too late for me now bought a BeyonWiz DP-S1 PVR recently...although pricier than the PS3 PVR box but it does come with dual tuner, Wireless and Normal LAN (just like PS3) 200GB HDD, timeshifting (which i do use a lot) and ICE TV which im a big fan of, if i knew about this release earlier i wouldn't have bought it...oh well

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

the TV tuner i have now on my comp is enough for what im after, i hardly use it most of the time i record music vids and maybe sports

Tags
ps3, record, tv