Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

maccar86 at standard level
Default advice appreciated

driving home from work today some guy run up my anus.
my boot and everything is fine and there is a slight dent in the rear bumper.

i got all the guys details and when i asked for insurance details he said lets keep insurance out of the equation as the dent is only small. you fix it and ring me with the bill and i will happily pay.

now my question is do i a) report this to the police b) do i ring my insurance company and let them sort it out and c) or do i get the bumper fixed myself and send him the bill..

as im young and have never had any experience in something of this nature any advice or help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ECOSSE at standard level

Sounds like he is trying to get out of paying, what makes you think he will pay once you have fixed your car with your hard earned money. (He could then deny ever hitting your car, any witnesses?)

My advice is report it to the police and let your insurance co know! Doing the right thing, you have a leg to stand on, if you want to take him to court etc...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

yer thats exactly what i was thinking, im an apprentice so the lump some of money straight up would be a tad hard for me but on the same hand i like to think im a decent guy and give him the benefit of the doubt and leave the insurance companys out of it.

my parents insist i file a police report online and let insurance deal with it, but just thought id gain some other perspectives first
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM
STI Master

Wrexter at standard level

get an estimate and make him pay it.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Did you get his licence number and address?? Rego of his car?? Description of person driving?? If not you're pretty much shit outta luck

Any accident causing injury or more than $1000 damage MUST be reported to the police. You'd be surprised how much it would cost to fix small accident damage and even more surprised to find you have a sore neck tomorrrow when you wake up. It can happen just that easy. I would say fuck him, take it to your insurance company and make them chase it all down for you. Save you a lot of hassle and shouldn't cost you anything as it was a not-at-fault accident on your part
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
Any accident causing injury or more than $1000 damage MUST be reported to the police.
Just what I was going to say.

Get an estimate, he pays the bill or cash upfront.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

phizzle give some credit mate, of course i got every little bit of information off him, i even got the name of his work

i dont know if a dent on my rear bumper will cost more than $1000 but the general consensus says fuck him and inform my insurance company, so thats what i will do
Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
STI Master

Darken at standard level

Simple! get the quote, show him and say cash up front or ya take it through insurance. No second buts!

If you haven't got a witness he may deny all. So work quickly!

Generally it's abt $400 for paintwork for a bumper alone. Repairs/replacement are on top of this cost!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

get a bunch of quotes and then go to him and show him and make him pay!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

I am in the same situation Maccar, only rolls reversed!

It was the classic minor crash that insurance companies probably deal with the most: the give way sign incident.

The driver in front of me was at a turning Give Way sign (to go left). The coast seemed clear of traffic and I thought she was going and she started to. So of course I looked to my right to check for traffic (as I am legally obligated to do) and there was none. When I looked back to go she'd stopped but by then I already had a rolling start (it was an auto) and had to slam on the anchors. Into the back I went (luckily not in the rex!).
Morally it's her fault for just stopping when 9/10 ppl would say she could have comfortably pulled out before the traffic arrived. But in a Court of Law it's my fault and always will be.

Minor damage to her bumper - only in the way of about 1cm square of paint removed. And a minor ding to the bottom of her boot. She's called me tonight (happened about 4 hours ago) and said she's already put in an insurance claim and filed a police report!

I'm heading out to her tomorrow with the camera and my dad as another opinion to look at it and try pay for her damage out-of-pocket rather than deal with a $1,000+ excess or some shit and have my insurance blemished.

Any opinions also appreceated Hope everything goes right for you Maccar

Tags
advice, appreciated