Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Sir AntiLag

SpitShine at standard level

Yes it is. Was driving down the Mitchell Fwy and saw a really nice looking yellow GT250R. Hence thats wats spurred me towards the Hyosung. Took a look at a ZX2R Ninja in blue, seemed very small unfortunately. Would the Hyosung be a good choice for a novice rider?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

if your going for looks and shit. just buy the hyosung.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

SpitShine at standard level

just out of curiosity, is it better to go for a light bike or a heavier bike
Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

matter of opinion.

some people rate heavier bikes as its a good intro for the bigger bikes.

some others rate the lighter bikes because its easier to throw it around.

get your license. and ride each bike. and see what you like.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
STI Master

MaD_OwNeD at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitShine
Yes it is. Was driving down the Mitchell Fwy and saw a really nice looking yellow GT250R. Hence thats wats spurred me towards the Hyosung. Took a look at a ZX2R Ninja in blue, seemed very small unfortunately. Would the Hyosung be a good choice for a novice rider?
all depends on how it handles for yourself really. not every bike will suit everyone. everyone has their opinions bout bikes. some ppl just go for looks, some ppl just go for performance, some ppl just go for brands. hyo's don't perform as bad as ppl say they do. most ppl that bag it haven't even ridden one or owned one to really comment on them besides what they read. every bike has their advantages and disadvantages. for myself i don't have any problem with the hyo with how it performs handles weight etc. i've tested a few models out and really all the 250's don't have too much difference, just minor things here and there, it's not til you get to the bigger bikes where there is a tonne of difference. to say is a hyo good for a novice rider, well that really depends on how it feels for you when you actually ride it. it may or may not. like chee said, you gotta test ride them all to see what you are comfortable with coz that is what really will decide which bike is for you. of course if $$$ is a factor in your decision, whether you wanna waste money on the big brands on a pos 250 or not.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Simmo7 at standard level

I would pick a new zx2r 08 over a hyosung anyday. Having known some people that own both rating wise there prob similar but if you want it asap gt250r. There is a 3 month wait for the zx2r...

Other then that just scout around theres plenty of 250's out there. There pretty much all the same though you dont get huge differences due to not alot of power being made. I started on a road trail as i came from dirt bikes. The klx250 was my first bike before going to a zx6rr. I have now settled for a suzuki gsxr750 as it is an absolute weapon..
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Sir AntiLag

UNDRGND at standard level

Quote:
Hey Buddy

If its your first bike it chages everything. Never buy a bike that looks good. Buy a bike that feels right when you ride. We all come in diff shapes and sizes

Never buy a brand new bike for your fist ride. Always buy a second hand one in case you damage it ( ie crash or even drop it).

My first bike was a ZZR 250 ($2.5k) and for a learning bike - its great. Its nice and heavy which means its more stable on the road and its very easy to ride (and comfortable).

When you start off riding the main thing is not the bike albeit the road. Learn how car's drive on the road and the way you can sort of predict what people are going to do. Dont rush in buying a big bike. I got my open class licence straight away but didnt buy a big bike till 3 yrs later. Learn the road first.

Track racing or lessons are a great way to build up your confidence on the road.

Remeber that your gambling with your life everytime you ride. Even though it may not be your fault a car with even the smallest touch can knock you down. The other day i saw a guy get knocked of his bike on the freeway and he slammed against the concrete barrier . Lucky for him we were only going about 40km's. He was not merging or weaving, Just riding but the driver forgot to check his blind spot.

As mentioned the most important thing when you start riding is learn the road and the way drivers drive and remeber to always have fun.

My 2 cents. Good luck

Chris

Last edited by UNDRGND; 01-06-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

trusti rex at standard level

Quote:
just out of curiosity, is it better to go for a light bike or a heavier bike
it depends also on whether you ride the bike daily - rain hail or shine. for my restricted license i bought a kawasaki balius 250. it was my only form of transport and during winter it was downright scary. the 250 used to get blown around like a plastic bag in the big storms - i'd be riding at a 5 degree lean against crosswinds! needless to say i sold the 250 after 2 weeks and finished the rest of my restricted license on a honda cb600 hornet. so much more stable in rough weather! due to extra weight! one piece of good advice i got and i must say is true:- make sure your bike has top of the range tires. dont skimp as they are the only thing connecting you to the road.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:52 PM
STI Master

mrclubspecevo4 at standard level

my wife and I got our licenses in early 2006. we looked at and I test rode many different bikes from cbr's, aprillia's, balius's and zzr's.
Being a shorter person, I found that the bikes that had a large hump shaped petrol tank really felt uncomfortable because you were always at full stretch with your arms.

we looked at many of the jap import bikes (old models such as cbr with recent compliance) and found that the history of these was not always reliable.

the bike we got was a brand new GPX 250. why new? because the difference in price between an old model and new one was marginal and resale on this bike is quite reasonable. also, i like to know that the bike has been looked after (which is has to be because we are the only owners).

now, it's not a daily commuter, more of a weekend fun machine. Not too heavy (about 130kg) and has the same running gear as the ZZR 250 (difference being the alloy frame and different farings) without the extra cost and higher insurance premium (around $200 from Swan insurance).

horses for courses, sit and test ride as many as you can. Get one that feels comfy to you and do not buy purely on looks.

oh and as others have said, make sure you are very careful on a bike. drivers are oblivious to you, so it's your responsibility to make sure you are safe.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

danman at standard level

I've got a black VTR250 that's for sale at the moment. If you want more details drop me a PM.

Tags
250cc, bike, opinions