Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   350z vs Golf R32/GTI (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/20226-350z-vs-golf-r32-gti.html)

perthzed 09-06-2008 09:07 AM

350z vs Golf R32/GTI

I'm selling the beloved Z soon because basically my wife hates driving a manual :rolleyes: . So we are getting an Auto (which I hate). But I thought if I went for a DSG gearbox it may not be as bad as a full auto car. So that really leaves me with VW/Audi and as Audi are a bit $$ it really comes down to the Golf Gti or R32. I have about 50K to spend. I'm not a huge fan of FWD cars so would probably opt for the R32. However I am yet to drive either of these cars so was wondering if anyone had any experience driving a Golf and how they think it compares to the Z as far as performance goes, or if you haven't driven a Z how you think it may compare? Is there a huge difference in performance? Also if you can think of any other cars that may be an option. As I said has to be an auto or semi-auto.

American Dave 09-06-2008 09:12 AM

The VW wont compare to the driving experience of the 350 so you got to get over that to start with. If you dont like FWD then R32 or Audi are you options. I have driven the GTI and 350Z. My wife owns the Golf GT TSI Sport with DSG, great chick car for the $$.
[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/Lib051107012.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY08%20Golf%20GT/MY08GT024A.jpg[/IMG]

DAN682 09-06-2008 09:12 AM

I own a TSI which is a model down from the TSI. It has a DSG box. American dave owns the Diesel equivalent of mine also.

The R32 is a little more than $50k if you are looking new. They are more like $64K
You will get a GTI for $50K definitely test drive them all, I am like you and not too keen on FWD but VW have done it right and there is barely little torque steer or understeer for that matter.

Head to VW Ossie Park and speak to Iain Scott 9273 2333. He is a really nice bloke and is really helpful.

American Dave 09-06-2008 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=DAN682]I own a TSI which is a model down from the TSI. It has a DSG box. American dave owns the Diesel equivalent of mine also.

The R32 is a little more than $50k if you are looking new. They are more like $64K
You will get a GTI for $50K definitely test drive them all, I am like you and not too keen on FWD but VW have done it right and there is barely little torque steer or understeer for that matter.

Head to VW Ossie Park and speak to Iain Scott 9273 2333. He is a really nice bloke and is really helpful.[/QUOTE]

We have the petrol version GT not diesel.

perthzed 09-06-2008 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=DAN682]I own a TSI which is a model down from the TSI. It has a DSG box. American dave owns the Diesel equivalent of mine also.

Head to VW Ossie Park and speak to Iain Scott 9273 2333. He is a really nice bloke and is really helpful.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was my main concern (torque steer or understeer) so thats good news that it s ok in that dept. I'm looking at 2nd hand seems to be quite a few R32s around for 48-50 with very low Ks. I really want one with the Recaro seats, they look fantastic. Went down to OP VW couldn't see any R32s, plenty of Gtis.

Also like the S3 and A3(3.2l V6) and new model TT but 50K doesn't go as far with Audi as it does with VW.

vyper 09-06-2008 09:32 AM

Honestly, the R32 isnt worth the money - I was going down this path at one stage also. For $70k on road, there are so many other options out there.

I opted for the GT TDi instead which was a good tradeoff between the R32 and the GTI. On that note, the GTI is an absolute quality car and the finishings are top notch for a car in its price range (~$45k).

Edit: You probably wont see that many R32's around. They are usually in and out of the dealer within a few weeks. Give John Hughes (Vic Park) a call and see if they have any in stock.

The DSG TDi is fast, by that, I mean ridiculously fast for a diesel. Be prepared for a 4 - 5 month wait even now if you decide to option it up. I ordered mine back in Feb and wont have it until the end of next month.

perthzed 09-06-2008 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=vyper]Honestly, the R32 isnt worth the money - I was going down this path at one stage also. For $70k on road, there are so many other options out there.

I opted for the GT TDi instead which was a good tradeoff between the R32 and the GTI. On that note, the GTI is an absolute quality car and the finishings are top notch for a car in its price range (~$45k).

Edit: You probably wont see that many R32's around. They are usually in and out of the dealer within a few weeks. Give John Hughes (Vic Park) a call and see if they have any in stock.

The DSG TDi is fast, by that, I mean ridiculously fast for a diesel. Be prepared for a 4 - 5 month wait even now if you decide to option it up. I ordered mine back in Feb and wont have it until the end of next month.[/QUOTE]

I'm not buying new so am looking at only spending 50k and has to be auto/semi-auto. If I was spending 70k I'd probs go for a 135i. At the end of the day I don't really want a Golf, it's a compromise car for the wife cos she doesn't like the Z. :confused:

wannabox 09-06-2008 11:09 AM

What about a new wife and keep the Z :P heheh jks...

AWDmoke 09-06-2008 11:12 AM

That would cost him a lot more than $50k :p

wannabox 09-06-2008 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=AWDmoke]That would cost him a lot more than $50k :p[/QUOTE]

I just thought of that when I posted :P hehe cheaper to get a new car...

Pimpreza 09-06-2008 11:25 AM

Auto STI Liberty????

perthzed 09-06-2008 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=wannabox]What about a new wife and keep the Z :P heheh jks...[/QUOTE]

Well I did consider it, especially when she said it's either me or the car..

"shut the door on the way out love...!"

RUSSGT 09-06-2008 11:28 AM

Also i heard the R32 understeers just as bad as a FWD anyway. What about a lib sti with the 5sp paddleshift auto. Sweetness!

American Dave 09-06-2008 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=perthzed]Well I did consider it, especially when she said it's either me or the car..

"shut the door on the way out love...!"[/QUOTE]

LOL that will cost you mate! Just buy here an auto toyota corrolla and be done with it.

Mister Two 09-06-2008 11:29 AM

New EVO X when its out?

They have a DSG box right?

teejay 09-06-2008 11:32 AM

SST (semi auto) Evo X MR's are going to be 70k.

I think the 5 speed comes in at 59k, but being manual kinda negates the argument.

waxdass 09-06-2008 11:37 AM

i dont think women care all the much if its a performance car...

DEDLYWEPN 09-06-2008 11:43 AM

my mrs does!!

207 de 09-06-2008 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=perthzed]I'm selling the beloved Z soon because basically my wife hates driving a manual :rolleyes: . So we are getting an Auto (which I hate). But I thought if I went for a DSG gearbox it may not be as bad as a full auto car. So that really leaves me with VW/Audi and as Audi are a bit $$ it really comes down to the Golf Gti or R32. I have about 50K to spend. I'm not a huge fan of FWD cars so would probably opt for the R32. However I am yet to drive either of these cars so was wondering if anyone had any experience driving a Golf and how they think it compares to the Z as far as performance goes, or if you haven't driven a Z how you think it may compare? Is there a huge difference in performance? Also if you can think of any other cars that may be an option. As I said has to be an auto or semi-auto.[/QUOTE]

forget "performance" considering your buying for your wife and it has to be auto. Why dont you ask her what she wants? :whip2:

EVL WRX 09-06-2008 12:39 PM

keep Z, buy bunky auto shitbox for wife.

problem solved..

perthzed 09-06-2008 12:51 PM

No we have a Magna Wagon that I need to use for surfing so sometimes she needs to drive the Z, but she refuses to cos she hates manuals so then I have to get my mates to pick me up cos I can't fit surfboards in the Z! Hence the reason I need to get an auto.

saturation 09-06-2008 01:07 PM

get her to take the bus :p

jEstEr? 09-06-2008 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=MY REXTC]my mrs does!![/QUOTE]

lol, auto.

nick6013 09-06-2008 02:56 PM

I just recently test drove both gt and gti ,dsg . Was inpressed with both if i had the option i would go the gti just a little more power. The dsg is awesome changes faster then a manual . For around $50,000 go the sti or gt liberty

SINISTR 09-06-2008 03:31 PM

Id get the R32 Golf... prestige and performance in one!

but who says FWD's cant handle well...

American Dave 09-06-2008 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=SINISTR]
but who says FWD's cant handle well...[/QUOTE]

The owner of a Golf GT for one. They still suffer from torque steer imo.

AIG 09-06-2008 05:00 PM

I own a manual GTI and its a great car and one of the best FWD's you'll find but it does suffer from wheel spin (and a little axle tramp). If you dont like FWD you probably would be better off with the R32 but the Haldex system in the R32 is still FWD biased and the extra weight offsets the extra power of the V6. The R32 won't be as much fun or as involving to drive as the 350Z, especially with the DSG.

What about a BMW E46 330i auto? One of the best auto gearboxes and RWD chassis you can buy.

perthzed 09-06-2008 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=AIG]I own a manual GTI and its a great car and one of the best FWD's you'll find but it does suffer from wheel spin (and a little axle tramp). If you dont like FWD you probably would be better off with the R32 but the Haldex system in the R32 is still FWD biased and the extra weight offsets the extra power of the V6. The R32 won't be as much fun or as involving to drive as the 350Z, especially with the DSG.

What about a BMW E46 330i auto? One of the best auto gearboxes and RWD chassis you can buy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah just had a look on carsales there seems to be a few about. So if you had the choice between the R32 and th Gti wuld u have gone fo the Gti.

ryandarcy 09-06-2008 06:39 PM

go the liberty sti looks good and drives great and doesn't look like a girls car

LTDGC8 09-06-2008 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=waxdass]i dont think women care all the much if its a performance car...[/QUOTE]

neg...i must disagree with that statement!!!

ryandarcy 09-06-2008 07:03 PM

oh shit now its all gonna get sexist and junk

doadrift 09-06-2008 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=perthzed]Well I did consider it, especially when she said it's either me or the car..

"shut the door on the way out love...!"[/QUOTE]

Its not your fault she cant drive a manual. Tell her to man up.

AIG 09-06-2008 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=perthzed]Yeah just had a look on carsales there seems to be a few about. So if you had the choice between the R32 and th Gti wuld u have gone fo the Gti.[/QUOTE]

Ignoring price I'd be tempted by the R32 due to the noise they make and the extra traction. But noting the price difference I'd always go GTI. Every car review of the GTI rates it as a 4.5 to 5 star car, which is rare for a car at that price point.
Either way you cant go wrong so it comes down to personal preferences and budget. Test drive and go with your gut feeling. No point buying the GTI if you cant stand the way a FWD car drives, even if it is considered a great car by others.

If you like the way a 350Z drives then a 330i would be a safer bet. R32 might be to nose heavy compared to the balance of a zed/bmw.

Pinky 09-06-2008 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=perthzed]No we have a Magna Wagon that I need to use for surfing so sometimes she needs to drive the Z, but she refuses to cos she hates manuals so then I have to get my mates to pick me up cos I can't fit surfboards in the Z! Hence the reason I need to get an auto.[/QUOTE]

350Z Auto?

Or trade the surfboard in on a skateboard

:D

ryandarcy 09-06-2008 10:18 PM

what about roof racks on the Z

nauli 10-06-2008 07:37 AM

And this thread has what to do with "Subaru Discussion?"

American Dave 10-06-2008 07:44 AM

Good spot Nauli

FFOUR 10-06-2008 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=doadrift]...Tell her to man up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah all girlfriends need a bit more man in them!

BALISTC 10-06-2008 08:12 AM

The new Toyota Tarago has a nice auto trans and a V6 with 200 killer wasps too. Might be right up your alley!

American Dave 10-06-2008 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]The new Toyota Tarago has a nice auto trans and a V6 with 200 killer wasps too. Might be right up your alley![/QUOTE]

LOL Joe you are gonna bring him to tears with suggestions like this! 350Z to a Tarago OMG