Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level
Default 350z vs Golf R32/GTI

I'm selling the beloved Z soon because basically my wife hates driving a manual . So we are getting an Auto (which I hate). But I thought if I went for a DSG gearbox it may not be as bad as a full auto car. So that really leaves me with VW/Audi and as Audi are a bit $$ it really comes down to the Golf Gti or R32. I have about 50K to spend. I'm not a huge fan of FWD cars so would probably opt for the R32. However I am yet to drive either of these cars so was wondering if anyone had any experience driving a Golf and how they think it compares to the Z as far as performance goes, or if you haven't driven a Z how you think it may compare? Is there a huge difference in performance? Also if you can think of any other cars that may be an option. As I said has to be an auto or semi-auto.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

The VW wont compare to the driving experience of the 350 so you got to get over that to start with. If you dont like FWD then R32 or Audi are you options. I have driven the GTI and 350Z. My wife owns the Golf GT TSI Sport with DSG, great chick car for the $$.

Last edited by American Dave; 09-06-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

I own a TSI which is a model down from the TSI. It has a DSG box. American dave owns the Diesel equivalent of mine also.

The R32 is a little more than $50k if you are looking new. They are more like $64K
You will get a GTI for $50K definitely test drive them all, I am like you and not too keen on FWD but VW have done it right and there is barely little torque steer or understeer for that matter.

Head to VW Ossie Park and speak to Iain Scott 9273 2333. He is a really nice bloke and is really helpful.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682
I own a TSI which is a model down from the TSI. It has a DSG box. American dave owns the Diesel equivalent of mine also.

The R32 is a little more than $50k if you are looking new. They are more like $64K
You will get a GTI for $50K definitely test drive them all, I am like you and not too keen on FWD but VW have done it right and there is barely little torque steer or understeer for that matter.

Head to VW Ossie Park and speak to Iain Scott 9273 2333. He is a really nice bloke and is really helpful.
We have the petrol version GT not diesel.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682

Yeah that was my main concern (torque steer or understeer) so thats good news that it s ok in that dept. I'm looking at 2nd hand seems to be quite a few R32s around for 48-50 with very low Ks. I really want one with the Recaro seats, they look fantastic. Went down to OP VW couldn't see any R32s, plenty of Gtis.

Also like the S3 and A3(3.2l V6) and new model TT but 50K doesn't go as far with Audi as it does with VW.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Honestly, the R32 isnt worth the money - I was going down this path at one stage also. For $70k on road, there are so many other options out there.

I opted for the GT TDi instead which was a good tradeoff between the R32 and the GTI. On that note, the GTI is an absolute quality car and the finishings are top notch for a car in its price range (~$45k).

Edit: You probably wont see that many R32's around. They are usually in and out of the dealer within a few weeks. Give John Hughes (Vic Park) a call and see if they have any in stock.

The DSG TDi is fast, by that, I mean ridiculously fast for a diesel. Be prepared for a 4 - 5 month wait even now if you decide to option it up. I ordered mine back in Feb and wont have it until the end of next month.

Last edited by vyper; 09-06-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper
Honestly, the R32 isnt worth the money - I was going down this path at one stage also. For $70k on road, there are so many other options out there.

I opted for the GT TDi instead which was a good tradeoff between the R32 and the GTI. On that note, the GTI is an absolute quality car and the finishings are top notch for a car in its price range (~$45k).

Edit: You probably wont see that many R32's around. They are usually in and out of the dealer within a few weeks. Give John Hughes (Vic Park) a call and see if they have any in stock.

The DSG TDi is fast, by that, I mean ridiculously fast for a diesel. Be prepared for a 4 - 5 month wait even now if you decide to option it up. I ordered mine back in Feb and wont have it until the end of next month.
I'm not buying new so am looking at only spending 50k and has to be auto/semi-auto. If I was spending 70k I'd probs go for a 135i. At the end of the day I don't really want a Golf, it's a compromise car for the wife cos she doesn't like the Z.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

What about a new wife and keep the Z :P heheh jks...

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

That would cost him a lot more than $50k
Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDmoke
That would cost him a lot more than $50k
I just thought of that when I posted :P hehe cheaper to get a new car...

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."

Tags
350z, golf, r32 or gti