Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

The split was done to enhance competition. As a merged entity, Western Power had control over everything. By splitting them up, Western Power now only have control of the grid infrastructure (on paper anyway) and Verve are just another energy generator.

I actually made a mistake in my earlier post: Western Power own the grid, Synergy is another electricity wholesaler. Synergy buy power from Verve, and pay a fee to WP for the use of their infrastructure.

Previously, Western Power had a monopoly and were putting bullshit policies in place to prevent private competitors. By splitting the old Western Power into its 4 subsiduaries, each of the new companies has to follow the same governing policies followed by private generators, retailers, etc.

So it wasn't really pointless as such. But maybe it could've been done better.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:59 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper
Not really. As of a few years ago, the WA electricity market was opened up to competition.

Verve is an electricity generator, Synergy is an electricity distrubutor/retailer. Verve sells to Synergy, so it's not reducing competition. WA's grid operates as a wholesale market which is open to competition by private generators. To name a few: Alinta, Griffin and Landfill Gas + Power are some other generators (Like Verve are), where Perth Energy, for example are another electricity retailer (Like Synergy). The only difference between Synergy and other retailers are that Synergy own the grid infrastructure and charge private retailers (Eg. Perth Energy) a fee for using their infrastructure.

So, as far as competition goes, we are all safe
True competition would mean consumers would have a choice of suppliers, yeh?

I know I don't. Where I am, it's (1) Synergy or (2) no-one for electricity, and (1) Alinta or (2) no-one for gas.
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz
True competition would mean consumers would have a choice of suppliers, yeh?

I know I don't. Where I am, it's (1) Synergy or (2) no-one for electricity, and (1) Alinta or (2) no-one for gas.

Same here. I didnt even know there was a choice, and if there is I dont think its a choice thats available here... and again with gas, we have alinta for mains gas and if u dont want that you go to bottled gas, only one I've seen around for that is kleenheat.

I dont see that it will make any diff.

and isnt western power and synergy the same thing? I thought WP had changed thier name to synergy.

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:49 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Golding at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Golding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxymophandlmama
Same here. I didnt even know there was a choice, and if there is I dont think its a choice thats available here... and again with gas, we have alinta for mains gas and if u dont want that you go to bottled gas, only one I've seen around for that is kleenheat.

I dont see that it will make any diff.

and isnt western power and synergy the same thing? I thought WP had changed thier name to synergy.
I think when it was also to allow other companies to generate power and sell to WP to put onto their grid.

I know that freo hospital has 2 massive backup generators in case of a power failure, its turned on when required by WP.

And other companies such as Alinta put power onto the grid via the new Wagerup Cogen plant

As for the split

Western Power - owns and operates the SWIS system (South West Interconnected System)
Horizon Power - same as Western Power but for non SWIS
Synergy - Retail
Verve - Power Generation

Tags
electricity, plan, premier